Any Snakes that can be fed on Insects?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanm

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any small snakes that can be kept and fed on crickets or woodies rather than the usual mice/rats?

My GF is keen on a snake however won't buy one as she doesn't want to have to feed it mice or rats as she has had both of these as pets previously.

Thanks

get her a beardie.they are cool littlr lizards and they love handling and love insects

:lol::lol::lol: ... sorry .. no, there aren't any snakes that feed on insects. As Saximus said, they're carnivorous. you can feed them on mice, rats, quails & chickens.
your gf is going to have to suck it up if she really wants a snake.
as sookie said, if she doesn't want to handle mice/rats, get a bearded dragon. ;)

I've got 3 snakes.. I also have two pet rats..

lol Syner what does that have to do with the thread question?

I think AMS's suggestion was a good one. Legless lizards are fairly snake-like

or a blind snake..

they sorta look like snakes.. with no eyes.. and sorta worm like..

legless lizards can be fed crickets and worms etc.. but im pretty sure they like to eat skinks too.. so if she doesnt mind going for an adventure in the garden, or breeding the skinks to feed.. it could be a good choice.. but i dont think they are great to handle, coz they might drop their tail..

and i think blind snakes are not good to handle either, as they will spray you with an offensive odour.. its up to her..

if she has no problems feeding gecko's and lizards, you could get a pygmy python...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read of some elapids found with insects found in their gut, supplimentary when food is scarce I think but otherwise no.

If you can find the right breeder some will have snakes that feed off fresh or frozen chicken bits like wings etc
Our biggest retics get that every third feed
But three whole chooks for them
Maybe you can explain that frozen mice and rats are just like a roast dinner for a snake
Frozen rat is a lot different to a live one

ORRR... better yet.. get a snake.. and you feed it mice/rats when she is not watching... and maybe she might get confident enough to watch, then eventually do it herself..if she wants to own a beautiful reptile like a snake, you have to accept and admire all aspects of their lifestyle, including their diet.. im assuming she isnt a vegetarian, similar concept, she has probably eaten pleanty of little childrens much loved potty calves/lambs.. without a second thought..i love watching my snake eat.. its soo interesting to see all the scales move almost rhythmically and stretch to fit a big meal.. its not like you are feeding them live.. and your not feeding them your pets.. so i personally dont see the problem..

how about any aboreal snake thats old enough to fit quails etc in,..?
i figure most aboreal snakes would be fine on mostly birds,....

If you can find the right breeder some will have snakes that feed off fresh or frozen chicken bits like wings etc

This would be ideal! Will look into it further, thanks!

ORRR... better yet.. get a snake.. and you feed it mice/rats when she is not watching... and maybe she might get confident enough to watch, then eventually do it herself..if she wants to own a beautiful reptile like a snake, you have to accept and admire all aspects of their lifestyle, including their diet.. im assuming she isnt a vegetarian, similar concept, she has probably eaten pleanty of little childrens much loved potty calves/lambs.. without a second thought..i love watching my snake eat.. its soo interesting to see all the scales move almost rhythmically and stretch to fit a big meal.. its not like you are feeding them live.. and your not feeding them your pets.. so i personally dont see the problem..

Yeah I don't really understand the problem either but thats her choice.

Some snake species do feed on insects and other invertebrates.

Fish diet species is also an option eg. filesnakes, common tree's

Blind snakes eat insects but nobody keeps them.
Dont get a filesnake, they're hard to keep and rarely available. Green tree snakes and keelbacks can be fed on fish, pretty sure they're ok for beginners.

i agree here, let her get the snake and you do the feeding....i used to feed mine when my other half wasn't around because it saddened her as she keeps rats as pets.
it doesn't bother her anymore, she has actually watched a cuople of times....just takes a bit of getting used to is all. it's nature after all and they have to eat....some may never get used to it though.

"ITS THE CIRCLE OF LIFE... AND IT MOVES US ALL..." i say get a snake.. and you feed it for a while till she gets used to it.. snakes are AWESOME! im gonna go watch the lion king now..lol

Yeah..I'm not sure a beginner should be going for a keelback or GTS, as theyre both very quick, slightly fragile and easily stressed. Best bet would definitely be an adult thats nice and placid and feeding on chicken necks, etc. Or maybe just get a guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back