Anyone ever kept an ocotopus?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepdad had a blue-ring octopus when he was younger.

Cephalopods are meant to be extremely intelligent, would love to keep one but I doubt it will ever happen..

Yes I have and sold many as I use to manage an aquarium shop, they are ESCAPE ARTISTS.

They will compress their body to only a few mm thick.

So if you keep one be extremely careful.

ive kept a lil one they are very inteligant and as gillsy said very good exscape artists

nah long time ago.

Easy to feed, cheap depending on type.

Hardest thing is to keep them in the tank, they're extememly intelligent.

I have seen them do amazing things like remove lids from glass jars to get food inside. Very intelligent and I reckon they would make great captives.

O_O octopi scare the hell out of me. At my school we used to have one in the marine biology classroom in a tank with a tank full of lobsters on the other side of the room, and they thought one of the students was stealing lobsters because they kept mysteriously 'disappearing' - So one night the teacher stayed behind a bit longer to try and catch the culprit only to witness the octopus crawl out of it's tank, across the classroom and into the lobster tank for a snack!

Also we did a bit on them in psychology and they are amazingly smart. Scientists create these huge intricate puzzles and once the octopus has done it once they can do it again in a matter of minutes [or seconds, depending on what kind of puzzle we're talking about]. They'd made an awesome pet, but they scare me way too much, LOL.

They live long as long as they don't breed.

You will need to keep them entertained, like they do the chimps at zoos.

As already suggested, hide food. Put live food in for them to hunt.

I never really thought octopi were that smart.
Anyone have any photos of pet octopi?

this makes me want one. where can they be bought? how does the water need to be set up?

O_O octopi scare the hell out of me. At my school we used to have one in the marine biology classroom in a tank with a tank full of lobsters on the other side of the room, and they thought one of the students was stealing lobsters because they kept mysteriously 'disappearing' - So one night the teacher stayed behind a bit longer to try and catch the culprit only to witness the octopus crawl out of it's tank, across the classroom and into the lobster tank for a snack!

Also we did a bit on them in psychology and they are amazingly smart. Scientists create these huge intricate puzzles and once the octopus has done it once they can do it again in a matter of minutes [or seconds, depending on what kind of puzzle we're talking about]. They'd made an awesome pet, but they scare me way too much, LOL.

There is a similar story with an aquarium in america. They had a bunch of sharks misteriously turn up dead when they came in of a morning. It happened about 2 - 3 times before they decided to stay back and watch what was happen. It turned out that one of the HUGE ocotpi they had was subdueing and drowning the sharks and then just leaving them.........i guess they got jealous of people ogling and commenting on the sharks all the time :lol::lol:

If you youtube you should find the footage no dramas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back