Anyone ever kept an ocotopus?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the best idea.
That 6 stank stand that Trousa is/was selling would be AWESOME for an octopus if you joined the tanks together by tubing and stuff. Octopus playground ^_^

they sound pretty cool for pets, but they intimidate me sorta, scare me that they could escape of a night, run amock, and slip right back in, without me even knowing... i find that unnerving. otherwise they seem like amazing little buggers

The only thing that unnerves me about octopi is their suckers on their tentacles. Scares the crap out of me.

imagine it got out and sucked to your face... not in my house. they seem smart enough to pick a favourite family member, and an enemy...

I have wanted cuttlefish for years now, but they require feeding several times a day (live crabs etc) which im not sure i could keep up with. Also i have inquired about them (mainly sepia mestus) at some of the good aquarium stores (Kims Aquatics, St George, Oceanarium etc which can get octos in) but they havent been able to help me out. - they also dont travel well and would probably be adults if they were able to get some in; which means they would likely die with in a few months.
www.tonmo.com is a great site for everything cephalopod! - just dont go filling it with chit chat if you join lol.

They used to have a blue ringed octopus on display at the Melbourne Aquarium.

I saw a tv show about octopus a while back and they were talking about a US marine research facility where they kept octopus and crabs as well as other marine life all in seperate tanks in one big room. They couldn't work out why the cracbs were dissapearing from their tanks and there was no evidence to suggest how this had occured. So they fixed the room up with infra red cameras and found that the octopus would climb out of their tank at night, and jump into the crab tanks, have a fedd, before returning to their own tanks.

Yes i kept an octopus just a little guy and as stated a few times they are escape artists, found him dead one morning on the carpet and fuzzy and dried, he was fantastic whilst i had him though. i actually caught him out diving one day, found him in a tin can. Used to catch all my marine fish, especially in summer when the warm currents would bring them down the east coast.

Ive kept a few octopus and cuttle fish, all collected while spearing.

The octopus was pretty boring, just lurked.

The cuttle fish was great though
we had them in a tank with a few other odds and ends.
always worth watching.. as they glide around the tank
changing colour as their tank mates upset them..lol

There is a similar story with an aquarium in america. They had a bunch of sharks misteriously turn up dead when they came in of a morning. It happened about 2 - 3 times before they decided to stay back and watch what was happen. It turned out that one of the HUGE ocotpi they had was subdueing and drowning the sharks and then just leaving them.........i guess they got jealous of people ogling and commenting on the sharks all the time :lol::lol:

If you youtube you should find the footage no dramas

Yeah Just found it:
[video=youtube;JJT_iG5I4Is]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJT_iG5I4Is&feature=related[/video]

Amazing.

I used to catch octopi for food, after a while I just couldn't do it any more because they were such wonderful animals and I couldn't bring myself to kill them.

hehehe I'm always finding them when I'm at the beach and think "Octopus salad or not???" ...it's always not, they are spectacular creatures indeed and I can't bring myself to killing them either!! ...but point me in the direction of a good Chilli Octopus fettuccine and the skies the limit :D Mmmmmmmm

if they can sneak out of their own tanks and across rooms and such, then obviously they can stay out of water for short periods... does this mean you could potentially handle them and teach them stuff if they are really smart like chimps?

I SOOOOO want one! I just spent the past hour looking at videos and reading about them - I am in awe, a little scared (they can crawl through drain pipes!!!) and in love! What amazing creatures! I bet they could learn to do a rubix cube!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back