Anyone ever kept an ocotopus?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=youtube;n0_U9cW8cPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_U9cW8cPA[/video]

[video=youtube;SCgtYWUybIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCgtYWUybIE[/video]

I had one for quite a while he was in a 6ft tank after a while he new when he was going to get fed and would meet me halfway lol.He was about 2ft across.I caught him in a rock pool when i was diving ,he had the whole tank to himself and used to feed him live crabs and fish.

On a slightly related topic can any cuttle fish be kept in aquaria?

Do they need a reef setup with filtration etc?

We kept a little blue ring in a fish tank at my mates house for a week with just seawater and a little filter. After a week though we knew it probably wasn't very happy so released it into the rockpool it came from.

Cuttlefish and squid can be kept in the aquarium normally have to catch them yourself tho.

Squid don't do very well in the aquarium, however cuttlefish do better but not fantastic unless you have a high volume of water.

I used to catch octopi for food, after a while I just couldn't do it any more because they were such wonderful animals and I couldn't bring myself to kill them. After snorkling and SCUBA diving with a few without killing them, I came to appreciate them more and now I find killing them almost unthinkable. They used to be one of my favourite foods... good thing cuttlefish and squid taste just as good! (Don't ask me why cuttlefish don't excite me as much as octopi... perhaps it's just my belly having its say! I don't hesitate to catch and eat cuttlefish and squid) A few years ago I caught one of a small species and gave it to my girlfriend at the time, she was feeding it neon tetras from the local aquarium :lol: They're very special animals, and incredibly intelligent for invertebrates.

We had a cuttlefish in an aquarium at uni for a while, it used to eat all of the fish :lol: It was still there when I visited the campus earlier this year.

Great looking snakes . They have enormous presence , like Cobra's , completely 'in the moment'.
A lot of pythons look kinda stoned by comparison , although my Jungle's pretty 'awake' .

It must be time to get some sleep . That last post was a response to an entirely different thread.

i had a very small one once that i caught by accident.....it lasted all of 2 seconds once my lionfish saw it....

I caught a Blue-Ringed at Moreton Island once and brought it home. Sadly it died overnight, so I'd say I'm pretty hopeless with them :lol: Absolutely stunning and remarkable animal. I'm surprised there aren't more being kept by people.

The giant octopus must grow pretty fast if it only lives for a few short years.

Hmmm, ya know what? I can't say I have BUT after reading all this information about them being so smart and interesting I would love to keep one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back