Anyone have a peacock?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they are horrible.

-noisy (non stop.)
-they escape
-they fly
-they wild populate
-they are messy
-the neighbours will hate you
-i will hate you

they look cool. thats about it.

peacocks

My friend has around 100 of them on a five acre rural allotment.

They breed every year and he feeds them to his BHP's and Scrubbies.

I actually got four from him around 3 months ago, raising them in quite a large outdoor aviary before i let them wonder on my five acre allotment aswell.

He tells me that that feed on all sorts of insects and i feed mine grower granules from the mill.

He reckons that they will eat nearly anything they can catch.

They nest under grass clumps(buffle) and sit on their eggs, most of the clutches i've seen hatch out more than 50%, he has eggs everywhere at his place.

We use the poo in the compost to later put in the vegie patch.

They can be noisy, but you don't really have an issue on a decent size block, probably be a problem on a house block.

I reckon i could easily get some pretty cheap if you were keen, PM me.

they are horrible.

-noisy (non stop.)
-they escape
-they fly
-they wild populate
-they are messy
-the neighbours will hate you
-i will hate you

they look cool. thats about it.

LMAO u crack me up kirby

I NEVER NEW THEY DID BIG POOS thats funny lol, i just thought they were these gorgeous shy birds that look pretty and stuff lol... clearly not i think if i still had a farm or something id get some tho i wouldnt get one living in the city no way, can they actually fly .... properly?

There are wild feral peacocks and other pheasants on the Mornington Peninsula if you know where to look.
These ferals are not really invasive so im glad to let them be when i see them.
Some cattle ranchers shoot the pheasants for food and thats ok to.Saves them shooting native ducks i spose.
As a kid growing up i remember going to a family friends house in Doncaster.
They had a few acres and would grow pine on the land.
In the pine forest they kept white peacocks,i will never foget the images of these birds
with their huge white tails flying through this pine forest ..
Something about the white against the dark green of the pines

There are wild feral peacocks and other pheasants on the Mornington Peninsula if you know where to look.
These ferals are not really invasive so im glad to let them be when i see them.
Some cattle ranchers shoot the pheasants for food and thats ok to.Saves them shooting native ducks i spose.
As a kid growing up i remember going to a family friends house in Doncaster.
They had a few acres and would grow pine on the land.
In the pine forest they kept white peacocks,i will never foget the images of these birds
with their huge white tails flying through this pine forest ..
Something about the white against the dark green of the pines
ya know sssssssssnakeman your quite the romantic .....;)

I've wanted to get peafowl since I was a little kid. I think the first one I ever saw was when I was very young, it was an albino which for some reason was wandering down the street in suburban Melbourne. I didn't realise until I was buying my second snake enclosure as a young teenager that you could peafowl in the suburbs. The guy selling the enclosure had them in his small suburban back yard, the first I knew of it was when one swooped over me in the dark as I walked up the drive way, puzzling the heck out of me! I had no idea what massive bird could possibly be around in that area! I think I was equally surprised that they only cost $20-$50.

Although it's possible, it's not really a good idea in the suburbs. I would love to get some now, we have more than enough land, but unfortunately the garden is apparently a higher priority, and unlike chickens and the domestic ducks, peafowl aren't easy to contain, and apparently the gardens are more important. Oh well, I lose this round!

Jessb I live in Avalon and have never seen one. I would love to see one though I have only ever seen captive peacocks

i was talking to a friend just the other day and she said she had onea year or so ago, but it ran away from home, and since she backs onto a woodlands thing, it was pretty much long gone. herd a couple of noises the first night or so then didnt hear from it again, think a fox got it.

we got a wild population wandering around near parklake estate :shocked: we also got yellowtail black cockatoos :D

it surprised me when i drove through the new estate and saw them.. theres 2 or 3 males, and like 8 females lol.... very odd.

they are noisy but they are cool, i would keep them if i had the space :)

Nat ;) x

Go to Nepal or India to see them truly in the wild. They can fly amazingly well for such a large bird but, given the size of their natural feline predators, if they couldn't fly they'd make a decent snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back