Anyone know the name of a Cairns QLD area wild gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twopaw

Reaction score
I have a little wild baby gecko running about on me with a continual yellow dot central to the spine marking. I can't see it at the moment, it's on my back. And staying there, it seems. Enjoying hiding under my clothing! lol :D Sorry I can't describe it anymore.

Blessings
Twopaw

Last edited:
lol i wish that a random gecko would start running all over me, you know what it looks like, you tell us if it is a Asian house gecko
Google Image Result for http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/arod/pictures/squamata/gekkonidae/hemidactylus/H_frenatus_thumb.jpg

asian house gecko - Google Search

It is an inch or so long at this stage. I saw some bigger geckoes mating a few days ago, but I don't know if its one of their babies.

What colour is the rest of its body?

I am not quite sure, a darker colour, maybe green. And about an inch long. With definite round yellow dots all the way down its spine area most noticeably. nope not the same colour pattern. But a similar body shape as far as i could see it. They move so quickly and suddenly appear and disappear!

My guess would be Asian House Gecko

probably, with northern species colours. I found the colour just as it was on my shoulder, it has a pale underside sort of half and half, along with little yellow dots and a dark green colour under the dots. Just before it launched off my shoulder and away to hide in all the computer cables. still with the yellow dots and black eyes. the green is more of a forest green, it came up onto the desk just now

although now i look at it as it becomes star of the show on the desktop and laptop, the yellow area is more like pieces of a interlocking puzzle and not at all circular. and with slight black marking under the face in a line for a little part of the body.

Last edited:
It is an inch or so long at this stage. I saw some bigger geckoes mating a few days ago, but I don't know if its one of their babies.

I am not quite sure, a darker colour, maybe green. And about an inch long. With definite round yellow dots all the way down its spine area most noticeably.

erm, a few days isnt really enough time to "have babies" try a few months ;)
and its a bit odd that they mate this late in the season......are you sure they were mating?
Google Image Result for http://www.natureswindow.dk/HBR/hbrIMG_6931r.jpg <- thats what them mating looks like, most lizards look like that when mating, they dont just mount each other like a dog or cow for example

The easiest way to identify a Asian House Gecko is by the tail. They have a series of small spines or tubercules along back and edges of tail (in its original state).
Their colouring can change quite often so hard to use this as a distinguishing feature.

Sure looks like they mount each other to me lol
AHG are prolific breeders so a mating at this time of year is quite possible.
If you are seeing a number of them regulary then they would be AHG's as no other geckos really inhabitant houses in such numbers, also their colour and pattern very quite a bit from day to night so to the untrained eye they can look like 2 different species

Just a thought but i doubt it, maybe it was a O.monillis
Wait nevermind I just realised that they arent found much further north than Townsville
http://www.timtytle.com/monilis/O.monilis1ttl.jpg

Last edited:
erm, a few days isnt really enough time to "have babies" try a few months ;)
and its a bit odd that they mate this late in the season......are you sure they were mating?
Google Image Result for http://www.natureswindow.dk/HBR/hbrIMG_6931r.jpg <- thats what them mating looks like, most lizards look like that when mating, they dont just mount each other like a dog or cow for example

Yes i figured that, i just thought they might be from the same couple or species. Yes that is what they looked like. I am in the tropics, and it has been hot sand heat up here the past two days..so maybe they breed for longer.

Sure looks like they mount each other to me lol
AHG are prolific breeders so a mating at this time of year is quite possible.
If you are seeing a number of them regulary then they would be AHG's as no other geckos really inhabitant houses in such numbers, also their colour and pattern very quite a bit from day to night so to the untrained eye they can look like 2 different species

Just a thought but i doubt it, maybe it was a O.monillis
Wait nevermind I just realised that they arent found much further north than Townsville
http://www.timtytle.com/monilis/O.monilis1ttl.jpg

nope..totally different markings again. its just hanging off the wall upside down watching me!! i'll get my camera and see if i can photo it, nope too far away and only my crap mobile cam without proper zoom. i'll wait for it to get closer maybe..it was just on top of the curtain at the centre so it knows i am trying to photo it...the star with attention!!

The easiest way to identify a Asian House Gecko is by the tail. They have a series of small spines or tubercules along back and edges of tail (in its original state).
Their colouring can change quite often so hard to use this as a distinguishing feature.

i thought it was the easiest!! ha! just kidding..

Last edited:
the shape of the pupil and the claws are both more reliable than the tail spines/tubercules

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back