Anyone seen their snake eating their own shed skin ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

congo_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just come across my female RSP starting to eat her 24hr old shed ?? I have pic's just after I tried pulled the shed from her mouth so just the piece that was left in her mouth in the pic's.

Attachments

• P1080962.jpg
    P1080962.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 240
  • P1080965.jpg
    P1080965.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I know lizards do it but not snakes. Maybe she thought it was food haha

I've not seen it happen but I've had one or two do it over the years. One was a hatchie stimsoni (it'd had a few good feeds was sloughing and then a week later it crapped out a slough).

I've not seen it happen but I've had one or two do it over the years. One was a hatchie stimsoni (it'd had a few good feeds was sloughing and then a week later it crapped out a slough).

That's strange, I imagine the digestive juices could easily break down skin, maybe they aren't very strong at that size.

To the OP, any reason for taking the shed off it?

That's strange, I imagine the digestive juices could easily break down skin, maybe they aren't very strong at that size.

To the OP, any reason for taking the shed off it?

Don't know it was more like a knee jerk reaction... that's not natural, so took it off her ?? I will feed her today as she has not been fed since may and she is in breeding still ATM.

- - - Updated - - -

Go figure she will eat her shed but will not eat her usual rat @ 7pm ?? maybe she was just after something different ? lol.

Last edited:
One of my womas eats his shed every once and a while. When I first got him he went through a few sloughs but I couldn't find the skin anywhere in his enclosure. A couple of months ago when I moved him to his new enclosure I caught him eating part of his shed.

I think with my boy it is a stress, unfamiliar place sort of thing. Very strange although I thought it might have been a reasonably common thing. After reading this I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back