Applying betadine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi people, i posted last week about my childreni having red marks under his chin, they have now turned brown, it doesn't seem to bother him, yet, but i want to treat it with some betadine to see if it clears up, i'm pretty sure it is scale rot.

Question is, do i need to water it down before applying it or can i put it on straight from the bottle?

Will it have any effect on him as i think he is not far from shedding? (hopefully that will take the marks with him)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx

I got plenty of that at home, works great on tats but won't it keep the skin too moist?

Pro-tat would work wouldn't it, or should i get a tube from chemist. Either way they both are anti bacterial

What do the instructions on the bottle of betadine say to do?

There is no reference to use on animals.

i'm more concerned about putting it so close to his mouth. think i'll water it down anyway

Will get a new tube tonight from chemist and give it a bash.

Have you tried it with similar problems before?

Do you think i should open his mouth and see if it has spread? I'm hoping when he sheds it will go with the old old skin

Water it down so its about 10% betadine.
Silvazine cream is great stuff for herps as well.

Thanks for that, i will try everything. Might stop me stressing. i rang the vet but they are no help for anything under 300 bucks, ***insert many expletive*** crooks.

my vet says betadine is good, but to dilute it to something not unlike a weak tea solution,
I used it on my geckos tail when she had an infection, it worked great. Undiluted betadine dries them up too much.

Thanks for that, i will try everything. Might stop me stressing. i rang the vet but they are no help for anything under 300 bucks, ***insert many expletive*** crooks.

I'd be getting a new Vet.

IsK

Will get a new tube tonight from chemist and give it a bash.

Have you tried it with similar problems before?

Do you think i should open his mouth and see if it has spread? I'm hoping when he sheds it will go with the old old skin

Have used it for all sorts from major burns to mild abrasions

Thanks for all the help everyone who replied. i noticed his heat pits (or whatever they are called at the back of his mouth) are also quite red. i will get him to a vet as soon as i find a good one. Anyone know of any on the gold coast or south side of brissy?

Thanks chris, i got the number of the gold coast vet from there, he's in surgery and will call me back, hopefully better than the goose i spoke to before.

silvazine is expensive but top stuff and you'll always have it on hand. compared to howmuch betadine you will use id go with silvazine its about $100 per large tube but it is worth it.

just spoke to the vet, reckons betadine is a waste of time unless its an open wound as it only dries the skin and eats good flesh.

Mentioned that some pythons have like a feeding trauma or reaction sometimes that will cause a pinky red discolouration after they have fed that may stay there until shedding. Ever heard of that?, i read it somewhere before but haven't heard a lot about it.

i''ve never heard that before, but i'm not exactly what you'd call experienced.

thats interesting about betadine eating good flesh, i knew hydrogen peroxide did that,...but not betadine,..!!

hopefully he'll shed soon and put ur mind @ ease,.!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back