Aquarium help !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazel

Reaction score
hey everyone new user and im looking to get a snake

i have an aquarium 69x 35x 30 cm and its glass never been used berfore
i asked a pet shop and they said there wa no way i could use it for a snake beacause its glass and wont heat up safly for the snake

i was going to put a heat mat and lamp in but the pet store said not too as the tank is glass.
i was wondering is there anyway to convert the tank for a snake or do i need to get a snake encolsure ?

Plenty of people use glass tanks for their reptiles.
It would have to have secure lids so the snake can't get out and make sure its possible to attach a cage around the light so it doesn't burn itself.

you could just build one

decide on the snake you want to get first as this will tell you how big it needs to be.

however first and foremost you need to reaserch reaserch reaserch snakes are not as easy to look after as one may think.

that tank is probably to small. to house any adult snake tho except maybe a childrens python.

i just use it, heat from both top and bottom will be fine.

you can use the tank that you have. as been said its only good from a snake from the childrens family. the problem you will have is with the lids. you will need to replace them and make up something with vents. then think about wether you want to use heat light or heat mat

That sounds like a standard size fish tank, the pet shop may be able to find you a gauze lid to fit it. Otherwise, make one. Ditch the glass lids and make a gauze lid.

I would think it even be too small for a childrens python? Pygmy python might be the go. though.

I dont think it is good for the snake because when they lay against the side of the tank the glass is a lot colder then the air temp inside the tank..
But thats does not mean i havent used glass.:rolleyes:

I made a fake back ground for one of my glass to over come this problem!
it take a fair amount of time but as people have said lots of people use galss wit out a problem.

personally i wouldnt use a fishtank because as the pet shop worker said they dont retain heat as well as a wooden enclosure and you will find it a lot harder to maintatin temps at a constant. you can build a proper snake enclosure for under $150 minus a thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back