Aquarium to Terrarium?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombok

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay so, a family friend, had a friend, that was selling an aquarium for a cheap fee. And he knew I had a snake, so he bought it and gave it to us. The thing is, is that it's an aquarium. Will this be fine to house my Jungle python when he gets bigger? Of course we'd get a new proper terrarium when he gets even bigger.
The family friend is planning on making a lid for it and things so air could get in, but I'm kind of worried.
So would this be fine for a jungle python? I don't want to not use it as he paid for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20130331_090109.jpg
    IMG_20130331_090109.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 123
Won't hurt the jungle but can be a pain in the butt the heat as the glass transfers heat so much quicker than timber

Last edited:
Our big girl (Coastal) spent her 1st 5 years in an Aquarium, it was length 1200 Width 400 and depth 500 all i did was liquid nailed a peice of chipboard 1200 x 400 to the top of the tank and when it was properly set i cut a square hole 400 x 300 at each end then cut a 300 x 200 hole in each of the cutouts and covered it with metal flyscreen and hinged each back in their original place and put a lock in each, she thrived in it and it was only recently she got moved into her new enclosure (see build thread in DIY)...........................Ron

not really to scale but you will get the idea, this was built for my tank so the measurements will have to be adjusted to suit yours

Attachments

• TANK LID.jpg
    TANK LID.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
That's awesome!
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I might put some foam in there and I think the friend is planning on making a wooden lid thingy. So hopefully I'll be able to get it all well.
Thanks for the reply!

That's alright.
Thanks for the reply. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i had lizards in one for a while and im thinking snakes would be fine too. A lid with mesh would be good as you could use domes on top for your heat source. It def has potential! and ive seen a few that look very attractive as enclosures once completed :) keep us posted.

I'm going to be working on making it nice once I get all the things. :) I'll post pictures when I do.
Thanks for the reply!

An easy way to get the back looking good is to layer paint different colours on the outside, scratch in crack lines and paint a fake Rockwell on the outside. Then you don't need to seal it but looks great through the glass

If all else fails, put some nice native fish in that thing, you would pay a lot for a tank like that brand new

Another suggestion, and bear in mind that I only just thought of it so have no idea if it would actually work, would be to turn it on its front, and silicone in a strip of glass down the bottom, some glass tracks on top of that, add in some sliding doors and tada! Front opening sliding glass door enclosure :) Probably wouldn't fit on the stand anymore that way, but you could always just put a piece of chipboard or ply underneath it to distribute the weight and still use the stand.

I was thinking about that too! But I think I'll go with this, just because he probably likes so height. But thanks, if this doesn't work I'll definitely try that.

Sides of an aquarium are not made for weight. High chance that would crack it without a centre support

I was also going to suggest, lying it down on its side...so it's vertically upright, for the height aspect.

I'm also suggesting that the opening on top may not be ideal as the snake may become cage-defensive every time you lower your hand in.

Sides of an aquarium are not made for weight. High chance that would crack it without a centre support

Only if it was full of water.
A lot of gecko keepers in the states convert fish tanks in a similar fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back