are frogs allowed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandymegan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI, can you talk about frogs in here too? :?
I need to relocate 3 beautiful green tree (?) frogs from my outside loo as it's being demolished in 2 mths to make room for renovations.
Is it just a matter of making a new pond with plenty of plants and shelter (netting - cat deterrent) and then putting them in there? or will they go back to their old home? :roll:
Can frogs, blueys, and turtles (maybe a pygmy monitor or vitti) live in harmony in a pit? or will someone end up being dinner? :twisted:
Thanks I've really got to move them or they'll be squashed :cry:

One question.....one point...

Question: Are the frogs natives? (ie not captive bred) because if they are they fall under the same rules as all reptiles in that you cannot remove them from their native environment and treat them as "pets"

Point: Why did you mention frogs in a forum that can be accessed by Matt? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also as a secondary point, careful mixing natives with your captive bred stock as they can carry nasty parasites etc into your previously clean animals.

Cheers Hawkeye

i thnk turtles would probably eat the frogs. I think would be best to make a pond and relocate them there.

Ahhh good point hawks :lol:

The pond sounds like a great idea,I think the frogs may end up being dinner if housed with lizard species though!

Thanks, 8)
The frogs are a naturally occurring phenomenon in my outside dunny, and I did want to keep them around, so we will build a pond just for them!!
I had considered that 'pets' might not be compatible with the frogs I don't want any froggies devoured :cry:

I do hope I haven't upset Matt !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: I will mention my froggies no more :D

just a note: can you classify a dunny as a natural environment?? :? :D

Well I suppose the point here is that if THEY chose it then it is natural to them :) For some reason GTF's love dunny bowls as homes :) Why don't you relocate the dunny bowl to the back yard ? It would be a talking point as well as a froggy home :) Just remember to flush it once a day so they have plenty of water :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm very strange.I dont remember eating that frog :?

I would call a frog society in QLD and ask their advice on where you could put them. There are plenty of frog experts in QLD, you could probably get a few ph no's from qldNPWS :D

why dont you make a pond that looks like a really big dunny bowl. :D
then they will move there because it is bigger than there dunny bowl. :D

The frogs like to be in cool dark damp places. Hence your outhouse.
We have large GTFs in our large wooden box that house the pool filter on the central coast. It's only 50m from the water to, all the salt doesn't deter them one bit.
It's strange as these frog are highly arboreal and tend not to be great swimmers, eg. they lack the great webbed feet of highly aquatic frogs/toads. As long as you provide a water source, your pond, but also so a hide that'll dark and damp, they probablyhang around.
Close to the house would be good, they eat all your bugs at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back