are my beardies just overweight?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukey_Boy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ive had my beardies for about 18months now,i dont know if they are male or female(how can i tell).i was hoping that 1 of them my be pregnant,what do you guys think?the bigger 1 is always trying to walk up the glass,would she be looking to lay?

Attachments

• SSA52909.jpg
    SSA52909.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 130
  • SSA52910.jpg
    SSA52910.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SSA52911.jpg
    SSA52911.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 114
If she has eggs you should be able to see them on the side of her belly or feel small lumps in her belly. And do some test digging
If they are 2 males the one climbing the glass may be trying to get away from the more dominant male. We had the same thing happen here and found out they are all males and had to separate them. They where ok until the breeding season started.
But beside that I think the one in the photo is a little to well fed.;)

OMG what a little porker..lol

I think your beardie needs to lose some weight. What and how much do you feed it?

Do any of them bob their heads up ahd down as that will be a male. The females wave their arms. Also has she just started climbing the glass? Does she dig any way in the enclosure? If she is you might want to put a lay box in there for her.

the legs dont look too fat so it could be eggs...

How heavy are they? if there under 450-500grams then I say they just have good fat stores. over 500+ then theres a bit of a problem... They do look like they are pretty plump/fat though.

A lay box needs to be about 15 - 20 cm deep and filled with sand / soil or vermiculite (spelling?) mix. It needs to be moist but not wet. Check out the latest Reptiles Australia magazine it has an article on breeing beardies but if she is digging you may have to be quick so she dosnt get egg bound.
Good luck

LOL, that looks like chub before she lost 150g!! :)

My beardies not as bad as that but his stomach is starting to hang over the edges of the branch. Nice looking beardy too mate.

I have to post this pointless post.

LOL!

Do beardies get too fat from just over-feeding or do they get fat if you feed them crickets crickets crickets and no veges?

overfeeding normally. but if they only eat crickets etc as adults no veg then there gona get fatty liver disease and become super fat..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back