Are these tics?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy! This guy was given to me by the local vets to look after until he is well enough to be released. He was attacked by a dog, and has been treated by the vets, but I have just noticed these things on him, and have never seen them before, but assume they're tics? This is my first reptile rescue, so any help and advise would be muchly appreciated. He is eating and pooing, so thats a good sign.

Last edited:
yes they are tics, they can be removed with tweezers. Making sure to get the heads out as well.

ABSOLUTELY they are ticks, be very carful removing them. You need to ensure you remove the whole thing, including its head or you will get infection at the bite site. They attach themselves very tightly, I would swab the ticks head with metho, let it sock into the tick for a few minutes and then very carefully try removing the tick with a pair of tweezers.

Good luck with that gorgeous shingleback..

Yep looks like ticks, shingleback's are notorious for having them.I dont think that they cause too much damage, in small numbers. they gorge themselves on blood then drop off to breed. You can remove them with tweezers.

get some top of descent and give his temporary cage a spray. make sure he is quarantined from all your other animals. Repeat as per instructions. Ticks are very robust but this should kill them and their eggs.

u can buy special tick removing kits for humans, could find one at ur local pharmacy, they come with special tools to remove ticks(including the head) watever u do dont just pull on em, u sorta gotta dig em out

Thanks alot everyone! He is quarantined in another room from my animals. I use top of descent and F10, and am verging on obsessive compulsive in that department :)

Naxx, that kit sounds like a good idea.

I'm sure I would have noticed them when I got him? I've had him for a week now, I fed him 4 days ago, and have left him alone until today when I noticed them? How come I didn't see them before?

Thanks alot everyone! He is quarantined in another room from my animals. I use top of descent and F10, and am verging on obsessive compulsive in that department :)

Naxx, that kit sounds like a good idea.

I'm sure I would have noticed them when I got him? I've had him for a week now, I fed him 4 days ago, and have left him alone until today when I noticed them? How come I didn't see them before?

because when they attach depending on the tick they are very small,

it doesnt look like ixodes holocyclus so it is probably a oen host tick and there fore attaches as a very very small nymph and grows over days into a fully engorged tick like you have, i wouldnt worry about eggs as they fall off when engorged to lay and it is still attached.

just remove and it will be fine

cheers
H

because when they attach depending on the tick they are very small,

it doesnt look like ixodes holocyclus so it is probably a oen host tick and there fore attaches as a very very small nymph and grows over days into a fully engorged tick like you have, i wouldnt worry about eggs as they fall off when engorged to lay and it is still attached.

just remove and it will be fine

cheers
H

i concur, most ticks are very tiny and most likely would have been hiding under neath the scales when u got him, as they feed the can expand to something like 10 times the original size or something like that.

i concur, most ticks are very tiny and most likely would have been hiding under neath the scales when u got him, as they feed the can expand to something like 10 times the original size or something like that.

your very right, yeah i love my epidemeology!!! very cool stuff

Thanks. I will get either a tick removing kit, or an appropriate pair of tweezers tomorrow morning, and I will keep you updated on how it goes, and his progress. Thanks again all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back