Asian House Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learning snake man

Reaction score
Hello I live in Queensland and wonder how far the Asian House Gecko has moved though out australia and if it has moved into the colder states it is met to be the most widely traveled reptile in the world .when you have them you don,t have white tails or redbacks or very few of them as thay eat them all but that also carry a red mite under their toes which i sent a email to the Queensland museum to see if the mite efects other reptiles will let you know on that one when thay answer me cheers and happy easter and a very safe one enjoy:D

I know they are as far down as Coffs Harbour but no lower than that, that I am aware of.

Recent arrival

I'm in Maryborough QLD and although we would always hear them when in Bris, they only turned up at our house about 6 months ago (first heard one, and identified it). Since then I have caught about 6.

I think they move around a fair bit, they seem to call out and even answer each other. I have heard that they can have eggs with no mate - so can breed really quickly.

Get rid of redbacks - cool.

We already have the Robust Velvet and a Dtella type running wild around the house, so I catch and remove all the asians I can find so that they don't compete with da natives.

Be carefull if catching to remove, the Aussie House Geckoes (Dtella) have smooth tails and their backs are real smooth and velvety, the Asians have kind of spiky tails and a few on their backs. Also the Aussie ones get bigger and look fatter in the tail and around the neck - MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CATCHING - I would hate to see the good old Aussie geckoes suffer through mistaken identity.

Asian Geckoes do have a use..... I have used their tails to scent pinkys for my juv spotted python (just put a bit of tail in the pinkys mouth) - better than catching native grass skinks.

yer i get heaps in my house some times u say wat the hell was that noise at 1st i thought it was bats screaming out but someone on this site told me its probly a gecko since thaen ive been seeing them anywere and everywhere lol

There are heaps of redbacks around here and heaps of AHGs red backs would eat geckos more than the reverse IMO.

I personally think they will end up in all major cities and all other suitable climates. there is no way to stop them spreading and they thrive in the urban environment.

I just freeze them and use them as food for my critters. They are very good food provided they are frozen to kill any nasty pathogens.

IMO they will have both positive and negative effects on populations of many species here in brisbane, where i live there are no native geckos to be displaced(thats already happened many years ago). Hopefully they will do some studies to determine what impact they will have and if there is anything that can be done to minimise any damage.

Does any one know how they got here in aus?

by boat, i think they have been in the northern territory for many years but only came to brisbane on a cargo ship in 1996(from memory).

Ah ok, so it wasnt some geniuses plan to eradicate the house bannana ant or somthing. lol.

they are a complete pest for people who breed birds... They startle the birds when sleeping, they EAT eggs (Canaries and Finches) and Ive even seen the little buggers take baby finches out of the nest at night.... I h8 them

They are perfect for one thing - delicious treat.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back