Asian House Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie.snakes

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it strange that in NSW the Asian House Gecko is covered by the licensing system. Are they protected like native reptiles?

Actually yeah i realized that 2.just had a look on the list. Wonder why? Some 1 has to send an email 2 them.

Hemidactylus are not protected. They can be caught and kept, or caught and killed (either fed to animals or simply killed).

Hemidactylus are not protected. They can be caught and kept, or caught and killed (either fed to animals or simply killed).

REALLY?

i would have thought, if they are on a licensing system, you would need a license to keep them ;)

so most of em seem to be up in QLD...can we some how bring up back through a plane or is that to risky??? anyone wanna go up and get me some :D

I have them everywhere in my place. I am trying to find a list of protected species in NSW but can't find one. I assume since they are in the licensing system that means they are protected and you can't catch, keep and kill them. May be easier just to email them and ask.

What do people in NSW feed their Burton's legless lizards and small elapids that won't take rodents?

Well i know for a fact there are some in Melbourne to, i know someone who moved from Qld to Melbourne with a large colony of them and released them thinking they were native geckos.

I dont know whether they would be able to survive the colder climate but if they can adapt there probably breeding and growing in numbers.​

How you would actually catch them would be interesting. The little buggers are that bloody fast

I think they are relatively harmless, there is no proof there actually causing any real damage to the areas the live unlike the cane toad.

I just emailed the NPWS. Waiting for their reply. This could take a while ;)

In NSW they are on the licence system, so you can't just go to QLD and catch them to bring them back (legally). my understanding as to why they were added is due to the overwhelming numbers of them here in Oz, and there are NO exempt species for NSW

horserule, they cause direct competition for all the other geckos that inhabit the same habitat. That's devastating enough.

I have never seen a native gecko in the area I live :cry:
I guess that means they do have a bit of an effect

horserule, they cause direct competition for all the other geckos that inhabit the same habitat. That's devastating enough.

Dont they live primarily in urban areas? Where native bushland has been destroyed for development?

Yes they may compete with a small percentage of natives but compared to what we are doing to this country and the environmental destruction we have caused and continue to cause they are insignificant.

Huh? This conversation wasn't at all about habitat destruction. Please keep to the topic at hand.

A couple of years ago we moved into a newly built house. Within a week, we had many many Dtellas running around the place. Six months later, none. Every gecko we found from then on were Asian House geckos.

No one was talking about a comparison between us and them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back