Atherton python hasnt eaten for months

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenene283

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I really hope someone can help me - Im desperate! In April this year I bought a lovely pair of Atherton Pythons in great condition. I have had them in their own enclosure with the correct temp and humidity. They have a hide rock, branches to climb, heat lamps etc etc. The female eats well and is thriving but the male has refused to eat for me ever since I got him home. He has lost heaps of weight. Ive offered him mice,rats, chicken, quail and has refused them. I took him to a reptile vet but she couldnt find anything wrong. Ive been advised to give him a shop of Vitamin B which stimulates them to eat. Has anyone had this problem and had success with vitamin B?? Please help !!!!!!

Leave him, he will eat. It's mating season and males don't like eating when there are girls around. If they are less than two years old then there might be a problem!

Strange that it would lose heaps of condition in only 4-5 months.

So no need to panic then?? How long can they last without eating ?

Snake whisperer - have your pythons lost condition ? Why is it that the female eats everytime she's offered food but not the male?

If they're in the same enclosure, perhaps the male is stressed and being dominated by the larger female.

Separate them, and see how it goes.

Well my python had a vitamin B shot a few weeks ago in the hope it would get him to eat, he has shed today. How long now does it normally take for them to eat after shedding?? I separated him from the female about 3 weeks ago. He seems happy in himself but has lost so much weight.

Well my python had a vitamin B shot a few weeks ago in the hope it would get him to eat, he has shed today. How long now does it normally take for them to eat after shedding?? I separated him from the female about 3 weeks ago. He seems happy in himself but has lost so much weight.

It really depends on your particular python and the underlying reasons as to why he is not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back