Attaching heat cord to polystyrene?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of making an incubator out of a polystyrene esky - what's the best way to attach heat cord to the inside of the esky? Hot glue? And should I zigzag the heat cord across the base of the esky and then around the side walls?

Miss B - Yes you can get it from Bunnings, I just picked up a roll today - mine was called 'Sarking Tape'. It sells out quite quickly apparently - check the insulation section it is an aluminium type tape.

...I have just applied mine to the outside of my Woodie tub and was given some advice which seems to work well, make sure the tap is pushed VERY tightly around the heat cord - if it is not pushed tightly the glue will melt as it gets hot...

Sandwiching heat cord between polystyrene and something like sarking foil would be not only ineffective but also a real fire hazard. I think some glues like pva are safe with polystyrene so a drop every couple of inches would be a better option. I have a hotbox setup for small animals that is based on a plastic lined esky and use zip ties to hold the cord

Attachments

• esky.jpg
    esky.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 103
sorry to resurrect a blatantly dead post, but just a quick question about sarking tape, its from bunnings? and about what cost?

thanks
Josh

I got a box of paper clips and snipped each one in half and pressed the hoops of wire over the heat cord. Needed a few especially around corners, but did the job cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back