Attention All Monitor Keepers...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PremierPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Have another spare 4' x 2' x 2' (actually it's just a touch larger in all measurements) empty and I would love to acquire a single Monitor for this enclosure. So basically I'm asking what would people recommend - I'd rather a larger single monitor than a group of smalls (so not Ackies or Storr's etc).. Anyone have any suggestions as to what could logistically be kept in an enclosure of this size?

Best Wishes,
Chanty79

Is this the same enclosure the Bredli is going in? I wouldn't keep a monitor in with a Bredli :)

And personally, I reckon a majestic lizard like a large goanna deserves a bigger cage than a 4 footer. Unless ya want a baby like a lacie or goulds etc

Well mate when I say 'large' monitor I don't literally mean one that can't turn around in this size of enclosure. And no this isn't the same enclosure the Bredli is going in... How bout Gilleni - anyone had any experience with them?

you could easily house a single gilleni in that size enclosure just have logs and branches ect for it to climb on keep hott and feed u kno the drill and itd be happy . or you could get a hatchling goulds they are absolutely stunning animals cant reccomend them enough .
or you could do what boa said and get a mitchells they are also awesome critters

thanks
nathan

Aren't gilleni smaller than acanthurus?
What about a scalaris?

Ive got the same size tank ready for some monitors aswell, Ive decieded to house a pair of tristis orientalis in one and a trio of gillenis in another.

Aren't gilleni smaller than acanthurus?
What about a scalaris?
yep, gillenis are generally smaller than ackies, smaller as in less robust
A scalaris would also be a good tenant for an enclosure that size

Gilleni are smaller than acanthurus and storrs, your next readily available monitor that is a bit larger than that would be a tristis, after that you could get a gouldi flavirufus and then you would need a bigger enclosure. I wouldn't even house a gouldi in an enclsoure that size as it is too small for an adult IMO. Monitors are extremely active and need lots of room to explore and forage etc etc.

For an enclosure of that size, I would be looking at any of the species that have been mentioned, except the gouldi, and consider getting yourself a pair. As you will find them quite fascinating to watch.

I installed a juvie male Scalaris in a tank just a shade smaller than that yesterday, and he's loving it!
If I can find a mate for him, she'll be joining him in there as well.

That is the perfect size tank for tristis. I keep a trio of adults in the same size tank and they thrive, breeding every year. Tristis tristis do grow a little bigger then acanthurus, and make great pets. I would definately recomend them for your tank.

Well coincidentally I am selling a pair of Varanus tristis orientalis, they haven't bred yet. They are roughly 450-500mm in lenght.
Typically they are quite nervous and aren't really for handling but are active and extremely interesting.
They are $600 the pair.
[email protected].
The female is the top one and the male is at the bottom.

orientalis_female.jpg

orientalis_male.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back