Attention fellow victorian reptile keepers!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes government officials of any kind make me extremely nervous, and I see them as a threat because they are just that.. They are a threat to rise my reptiles away, and given it is my fault, but even though I'd like to think like most say they are polite and just doing there jobs and may let me off with a warning or fine or something it dosent really make me stress any less, and I've had no information provided to me on what exactly the laws are,why happens if your property or pets are In fact seized etc..I rang dse and they were no help and I got no information whatsoever out if them,jst a customer service rep.. So yeh knowing I've done something wrong and not all the exact details on what could happen and how ..makes me very nervous n worried...

And then reading the information I do have and seing how maticulously you have to keep and record everything makes it worse lol... I know the laws are there for a reason but it's not like I'm holding 20 snakes illegally in my bungalow or something, not sayinf I haven't done something wrong and probz should hve a form of punishment but to me their jst like cops, they should give ppl a break here n there n focuse on the big timers but that's jst imo

Last edited:
You see them as a threat because you've done something wrong, if they just let everyone who doesn't renew their license and still keep animals 'have a break' what would the point be? Why should I have to pay for my license each year and you not yours, then when found out you're given a warning, hardly seems fair. Don't do anything wrong and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Regardless of how many reptiles you have you're well aware you need a license, as are most people that call you when you're selilng reptiles and ask you to sell it to them without one. Even those without reptiles generally ask 'do you need a license' having had one in the past you should know. Ignorance is no excuse. Government bodies shouldn't let everyone that was only doing something minor wrong off with a warning and only focus on the 'big timers'. Harsher puishments should be given out to those clearly trying not to obey these rules, but just because you're doing something wrong on a small scale doesn't mean you should be allowed to do it.

Just like firearms , the people with illegal reptiles don't have licenses , making it hard to find them . So they have to pick on the ones doing the right thing . If they come in WITHOUT a warrant they are not allowed into your bedrooms , that is why you are not supposed to keep them in there . If you are not doing anything wrong , just smile and put up with it , then they will have no excuse to come back . Ever .

I don't think I'm mistaken, but getting a warrant is not something they can do "on a whim..." in any jurisdiction. The seekers of the warrant need to present reasonable evidence of suspected wrongdoing to a magistrate before a warrant will be issued, and refusing to allow them access at a time that doesn't suit you would not be classed as being obstructive or acting suspiciously. I had a visit here from the NSW guys recently, they arrived at my gate (400m from the road) as I was leaving for a medical appointment on a Friday afternoon. They were from the Parramatta office, up here for a few days, so they were happy to come back on Sunday morning, a time which suited us both. They were professional, polite, and did their job in 30 mins and were on their way. That's the way it should work everywhere.

That's quite unlike the DEC in WA however - they can enter your home without your consent (powers greater than the Police), but are quarantined from the bathrooms and bedrooms unless they have a warrant (hence the restriction, in WA, on keeping herps in those rooms - so kids can't legally keep their bearded dragon or Stimmie in their bedroom - bloody ridiculous!). Although I never had any trouble with CALM (now DEC), their inherent suspicion of ALL reptile keepers as being potential criminals has made me think long & hard about the use of bully-boy threatening tactics to keep people nervous, and the actual role these guys/girls play in conservation. In my opinion it's much more simply an exercise of threatening power which has a base in history decades ago, than a useful conservation tool. It is very much linked to the personalities of those wield power in those offices, and their need to be seen as a perpetual threat to reptile keepers.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

We are not really comparing apples with apples as each state's rules, regulations and wildllife departments are all different. People don't realize that its incredibly easy for the DSE in Victoria to get a warrant. The community take all things Australian native very seriously.

If someone is suspect of keeping or selling dodgy fauna a warrant can be issued in less than 1 hour.

Well,enough said. RE Advice I gave you back in august.

Last edited:
If they come around to inspect, easiest thing is too make em a coffee and let em in. They just want to inspect the wildlife you have on the premises, ie; check them off aginst your books. The inspection would go alot quicker with you working with them, rather than against, allowing them to get out of your hair quicker.

They arent going to do a search of your house on a normal inspection. They may do this if you dont let em in, and they come back with a warrant.

If they suspect you for anything, they'll show up with a warrant first, because it makes it an easier and transparent process evidentary wise if the matter goes any further.

Actually they can inspect any part of the dwelling to ascertain that you are keeping the animals you have listed on your returns and in your record book, there is no restriction as to rooms they cannot access!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allowing an authorised Officer to inspect your wildlife is very different to them searching your house. Technical ...yes. but thats it

Technically, a condition of your license allows them to inspect your wildlife. If you allow them into your home to inspect your wildlife (which everyone really should do), once theyve inspected them, They shouldnt search your house without a warrant, unless you allow them.

All my animals are in the lounge and dining room. If I let them in to inspect wildlife held in license, once they have been inspected and books cross examined, they have no other power to search your house. Remember, at this stage they dont have a warrant. If they had a warrant they could go through your undies draw if need be!

wouldnt blame them haha christmas is a family thing and new years they probably home with mates drinkin and havin a barbee

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a little nervous, but that's the same kind of nervous as seeing a police car and checking that you're doing everything perfectly.
Can't wait to show off my roughie!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back