Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEC

Not so new Member
Reaction score
The Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (DECCW) is offering a number of reptiles for disposal through a ballot. The following species have been identified for the Department and are advertised as:

1 Coastal X Carpet Python (Morelia spilota mcdowelli x bredli)
1 Murray Darling Python (Morelia spilota metcalfei)
1 Long-necked Turtle (Chelodina sp.)
1 Eastern Bearded Dragon (Pogona barbata)

Every effort has been made to correctly identify these animals. The Department cannot guarantee the identification of an animal offered though the ballot system.

These animals have been seized during recent law enforcement investigations. Some of these animals may have been caught in the wild and their original capture locations are unknown. The return of these animals to the wild is not a responsible conservation option.

The Department recommends that a veterinarian checks all animals received through the ballot system and a reptile hygiene protocol be followed.

If you wish to be included in the ballot you must register your interest by 9.00 AM Tuesday 2nd November 2010. Registrations received after this time will not be accepted. You can register your interest by either a faxed message to 02 9585 6401 or an emailed message to [email protected]

Phone inquiries will not be accepted.

Your registration must include the following:

1. the words DECCW BALLOT in the title of your fax or email
2. your full name
3. your address
4. a prioritised list of the animals you would like to register for
5. your current NSW Animal Keepers’ Licence number authorising the possession of the animals you have registered for
6. your contact number between 10.30AM and 11:30PM on Tuesday 2nd November 2010
7. NOTE: only one individual animal per licensee can be provided

Any registrations that do not include all of the above will be excluded from the ballot. Licences will be checked before the ballot. Expired licences or licensees whose fauna record books have not been received by Wildlife Licensing for 2010 will also be excluded from the ballot.

NB: If you are successful in the ballot you must be available to collect the animal from the Department’s Wollongong office between 1.00PM and 2.00PM on Wednesday 3rd November 2010.

If you intend to have someone collect the animal on your behalf they must have permission from you IN WRITING. Verbal permission will not be accepted.

If you are successful:

1. you will be notified by phone between 10.30AM and 11.30AM on Tuesday 2nd November 2010;
2. you must collect the animal from the Department’s Wollongong office between 1.00PM and 2.00PM on Wednesday 3rd November 2010. If you are unable to collect your animal during this time it will be forfeited to the next available person; and
3. you must bring a bag (eg pillow case) and hard-shelled lockable container to transport your animal.
4. The Wollongong office address is:

State Government Office Block Ground Floor – Market Street entrance,
84 Crown Street,
Wollongong NSW 2500
(ph) 4223 3000

Is it possible that some basic information such as length and/or weight be included with the species information to assist people in deciding if they have the capacity/space to apply for and care for these reptiles in their current state?

Thanks in advance

Is it possible that some basic information such as length and/or weight be included with the species information to assist people in deciding if they have the capacity/space to apply for and care for these reptiles in their current state?

Thanks in advance

Good point. I'm looking for some long necks for the pond but I definitely dont want anything under 15cm because of the other turtles there. So I wont apply even though I could potentially provide a good home.

B

They dont usually supply info, when we had a ballot at coffs we had no idea if we were picking up a hatchy/adult, male/female etc

Send an email to licensing making some suggestions. It prob would be unlikely to get photos attached or have them sexed but really basic information like if its an adult or not would be a fairly reasonable request and help them find homes that are suitable more easier.

im just more shocked that they had m.s. metcalfei and m.s. macdowelli instead of the Vic DEC's 2 classifications, m.s. spilota and m.s. variegata. no cheynei, metcalfei, macdowelli or imbricata, yet all are kept (supposedly) legally in victoria. is this the problem in any other state? (except WA who i dont think are allowed anything other than imbricata)

im just more shocked that they had m.s. metcalfei and m.s. macdowelli instead of the Vic DEC's 2 classifications, m.s. spilota and m.s. variegata. no cheynei, metcalfei, macdowelli or imbricata, yet all are kept (supposedly) legally in victoria. is this the problem in any other state? (except WA who i dont think are allowed anything other than imbricata)
Why would it matter?

email sent to DECCW to see if they will provide weight and length details for reptiles listed..... let's see what happens

LOL, I'm just wondering how they knew what cross it supposedly is.... these days could be anything from a pure WC python to a jag ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back