Australian Animal Advocacy ? Mission Statement would read?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Australian Animal Advocacy ? What should go in the mission statement?

There have been a number of threads recently expressing disgruntlement with the RSPCA because the offer little for herpers and seem motivated by their own self importance and pulling stunts to feed their donation based revenue stream.

There is a need for animal advocacy but we need the organisation to be up to date with the way of the modern world and not just concerned about cruelty to cats, dogs and horses.

For any new organisation to get off the ground it would need broad support. Its mission statement would need to be acceptable to the majority of the community.

I know what I would put in such a mission statement but wonder if my ideas would be accepted or create argument.

I would like to hear some discussion on what a mission statement for and Australian Animal Advocacy organisation might contain.

To start the ball rolling here are a few ideas:

Acknowledging that habitat destruction and climate change are the biggest threats to native animals in Australia I would like to see the remaining habitat defended and where possible extended.

Acknowledging that people are largely omnivorous and not vegetarian I would like to see farming practices that see animals have a good quality of life.

Encourage the farming of native species. Where habitat is removed and replaced with ?farm? land I would like to see the habitat retained and the native species farmed.

Advocate the proper keeping of native animals, including herps (of course), as this is the best way to understand their needs and learn about their requirements.

Discourage/ban the keeping of cats.

Attempt to eradicate feral animals. In particular cats, foxes and cane toads would receive a lot of attention.

What else?

Just a quick thought, discouraging or banning the keeping of cats would be a vastly unpopular move, thus making the organisation unpopular with the majority of societity. It would be better to focus on the responsible keeping of cats (ie. kept indoors or in an outside run) the same way dogs are meant to be kept to prevent them having freedom to roam, eating native wildlife.
In fact if you look at it, every other pet is kept penned in an area (dogs in backyard, birds in avairies, farm animals in paddocks) except for cats.

Some of the Melbourne councils have banned cats as pets and there has not been too much complaint. (The one in the Dandenong ranges is the one I am thinking of.)

I think people are starting to appreciate that cats are very harmful to our environment and there are some common sense laws that could be proclaimed without too much out cry.

I would start by requiring that cats need to be licenced and higher licence fees required for cats that are not neutered.

Requiring that cats be locked up at night also seems like common sense.

Having a cat trapping program in sensitive bush areas in and close to suburbia would also be hard to argue against.

After a number of years of "forcing" people to think responsibly about cat ownership requiring that cats not be allowed to roam could be added to the agenda.

herptrader said:
I would start by requiring that cats need to be licenced and higher licence fees required for cats that are not neutered.

Requiring that cats be locked up at night also seems like common sense.

This part is already law with all councils i think you'll find.

Not 100% sure about the the night time bit, but i know that most councils have a curfew when cats can't be outside.

So does that mean that any cat in my yard after dark is fair game?

...Here Kitty Kitty

Fuscus said:
As for encouraging farmers to farm native animals, the only real way to do that is for you to eat farmed native animals.

We do!

The only people I know who do not appreciate the taste of Roo or Emu meat do not know how to cook it.

As for Croc, there is a local Chinese restaurant that produces the most delectable dishes with it.

Maybe the bush tucker DVD will help here ;-) (I have not seen it yet as I am yet to receive a copy.)

As for the cat curfews, if they are that common they need to be enforced!

I hate the way the councils and people in general descrimminate between dogs and cats ! If people see a dog loose they call the pound but a cat gets left to roam the streets and kill whatever they find !
well this year my neighbors cats will become food for my snakes if they are seen near my yard !! :evil:

hmm lets see if this works(last several times i tried to contribute to this thread it didn't work and i had to delete cookies etc to get this site to work again.

anyways i agree with the statment that completely banning cats would be a bad idea. however i think that forcing all cat owners to have their cats microchipped and to keep the info in the database with the micro chip's number up to date. then you make it illlegal to have your cats roaming free outside. on the lead, in a run etc is ok, however even outside being supervised is not ok. you inforce this with the help of the microchip law. set traps around areas suspected of having thier cats running loose. if you catch a cat you can easily find the owner via the microchip and then give them a nice fine and their cat back. if this happens again bigger fine no cat back and it is either found a new home or euthenised.

if things get really bad just have a guy with a air rifle going around. he sees a cat he shoots it if its microchipped(owned by some one) they fine the owner.

also having to have a licence to own a cat would be good, make it free or very cheap. so if a person regularly disregards the rules and lets the cat out their licence will be cut into little peices and burned and they will be baned from owning a cat for a certain amount of time or permenantly.

hey herptrader dose emu taste like chicken cept bigger? i can see it now chicken joints shut down and charcoal emu places open up. also what dose roo taste like?

also just thinking but isn't it the case in some farms that they have more roos than sheep so switching to farm roos would be more economical.

andrew

SLACkra said:
hey herptrader dose emu taste like chicken cept bigger? i can see it now chicken joints shut down and charcoal emu places open up. also what dose roo taste like?

Emu has quite a mild flavour and is very tender. It needs to be cooked on a fairly low heat. To me it tastes more like lamb than other meats I have tried. It is something you can cook all sorts of ways - just don't over cook it. Most of the meat is drum stick. An emu on the hoof is mostly feathers, there is surprisingly little bird in there. Ironically the first time I tried it was in Canada where they raise them in barns... a good thing when it -40 outside ;-) I bought it from a farmers market in Winnipeg ;-)

Roo is almost pure protein. I like to marinate it in olive oil and corriander (powder) and BBQ it in fairly thick strips. It is easy to over cook. It goes very well with a sweet and sharp flavoured sauce such as plum sauce with a bit of vinegar added. It also makes pretty good burgers but you need to add in some fattier meats such as a bit of minced pork (50% roo, 25% beef & 25% pork works well). You can buy in Melbourne supermarkets cuts of roo that have been pre marinated (or made into sausages). I don't know what they put in the marinade but it sure tastes aweful. You don't want to add much flavour roo as it tastes pretty good on its own with a bit of fat added (because it is so very lean). I have also done it as satay with a spicy peanut sauce....

The animals from our coat of arms on the dinner plate - how many countries can you say that about.

I had better stop here as I am getting hungry.

pretty sure we are the only country that does it. (eat the coat of arms animals that is). Let me know if you know of others as would be interesting to know.

The province of Manitoba (Canada) has a bison on it - Bison are farmed there for their meat.

A number of countries and things like lions and unicorns etc. which are unlikely to find their way onto the dinner plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back