Australian Defence Force

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfg23

Reaction score
I have been thinking about leaving my job where I am quite comfortable at the moment to join the Airforce as a Firefighter, but have been thinking long and hard about it.

So I want to hear from people who work for either of the defence forces to hear the pros and cons.

The fact I will probably have to travel a lot means I will have to give up all the reptiles, which I am not liking at all.

I am thinking about this too. At one stage I was very very very interested, they would pay for my uni and more money as well, give me a job plus all the other perks (free dental, medical and first home assistance) but now I dont know.

I have a cousin age about 32 in the navy, joined about 8 years ago and loves it....been all over the world, brought a home in Melbourne and aims to stay for as long as they will have him.

Oh I should add. My cousin who is twenty five, has been in the Navy as well since he was 18. He loves it. Has been every where, but has a few close calls that dosent like to remember.
Anyway he lives up in Cairns now has his own house and is doing well.
One thing he said, is it's almost impossible to get out at times even when your contract is up.

Even if you only do it for 4 years the time will fly and you have a chance to save for a house deposit and leave with a great position on your resume. I say go for it. Good luck

A friend of mine joined the Airforce at a young age to do his studies as Doctor, he recieved a regular income while doing his studies and even did his intermship at differant hospitals in Australia and overseas.
Go for it mate.

My 'little' brother is in the army, hes being sent to Afghanistan in November :(

But I have to be honest: he absolutely loves being in the army.

I got my interest in snakes from the navy guy who lived
next door. He had 5 snakes.

Yeah, it would be great if I could get based at the one here in SA, but it doesn't always work out the way you want it to.

Getting my partner to give her 'life' up over here and possibly move interstate is another matter as well.

Serving our country, so I get a sense of satisfaction with a days work is something I like (rather than making someone else rich, like I am now). And I have always wanted to be a firefighter. I have been thinking about trying out for the MFS too, but all the other jobs they get like car crashes and saving cats from power poles is not something I want to do..

My husbund is in the RAAF, has been for 6 years and we love it, Great pay, cheap rent a really fantastic lifestyle. We keep a bearded dragon and as far as moving goes they cover all expenses, though as far as courses go I'm not sure. It's worth the headstart it gives you and the life expirence aswell. We have friends also in the Army and they breed BHP's and BD and have plenty of sucess so there's no reason why you'd have to give up your hobby for good. Good luck with it :)

My partner is in the navy; has been since he was 18 and we're both turning 21 now. I've had to move from Brisbane to Perth 18months ago but both of our families have pretty much followed us over here (His oldest sister that is in the navy too, & his younger sister that has just joined, and my civilian sister and her partner.) The defence force is great. Him and I own our own brand new house, have a nice car and have no money worries at all. When you have had a mortgage for 4 years (i think?) you can get something called DHOAS from the navy in which they pretty much pay your interest. Also we got an extra first home buyers off them, and can get interest free loans anytime. If you dont want to buy a house they either give you a house or give you Rent Assistance. They are also trialling free medical for dependants very soon :) .

We definitely wouldnt be where we are without the defence force. As for time away? His sister was recently away for 6 months with a gulf trip. She had the most amazing experience of her life and has a great house deposit because of it. My partner has not a big trip yet as he is doing a lot of courses ATM to get into submarines.

All in all. Its great. Do it. I look after the herps when he's away :)

I did 15 years in the navy and it has basically set me up for life. I have a degree in electrical engineering and i am a tradesman electrician. When employers see " Defence Force " on your resume it carries a lot of weight in any job you go for.ie. you are dependable, reliable and very well trained. I am working as a sparky atm. Own my own home, curently paying off an investment property and looking for another.

it can be hard on the partners... esp when moving every couple of years,all over the country,hard on kids too...tho i know sum ppl in defence who breed birds,and theve been able to arrange their tranfers around the "off season" so that they can move their animals when not in the breeding time...so it can be done.... So i say go for it,its a life experience...as the defence force is like nothing youve come against before lolol saying go for it tho...i know atm there is a waiting list( even reservists are having an 18mth wait to tranfer over)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back