Automatic Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if there are any other thermostats, like the Habistat, with the same functionality etc?

They are probably technically called probe thermostats but you will get heaps more results by just doing a search for "thermostat"

Newbie - you have got at least three threads running, all asking for the same information. You have been given good info when you asked for it, but quite honestly, none of your threads really belong in the DIY section. If you want to ask the same question over and over again, please find somewhere else to do it

Newbie - you have got at least three threads running, all asking for the same information. You have been given good info when you asked for it, but quite honestly, none of your threads really belong in the DIY section. If you want to ask the same question over and over again, please find somewhere else to do it

So far mel the only thing that i have gotten out of the answers that i have received is use spiral globes, which i've decided i don't want to do and which many members agree with and i haven't seen any data to date, or been referred to any, that says that the spirals give any better penetration of UV in to the enclosure, and don't bother using a thermostat - that might work fine up in QLD but if i'm going to be giving my bluey a basking spot with heating and temperature gradients etc than i would sooner have some degree of control so i don't cook the poor guy or don't have wild temperature variations!

I've taken on your thoughts about using a basking lamp rather than the ceramic heater elements and i have decided not to use spiral bulbs

The other threads i have started are specifically in relation to thermostats, and running day basking lamps and night heat off of those, and also fluoro tube lengths in my 1200 tank - i think that fluoro tube length kinda goes hand in hand with the heating if i'm going to be using a MV bulb so i think that information needs to be included so anyone replying has a full idea of the setup i'm thinking of going with. So sorry mel, not all three threads ask the same questions... rather they're providing all of the relevant information that someone would need to give me an educated and meaningful reply...

I'm doing this myself - or DIY - if it doesn't belong here then where does it belong?

All I'm saying is that this section was set up for those who are building their own tanks, designing backgrounds/hides/rocks etc. IN MY OPINION, thermostat and lighting questions should be in the General Discussion board.

All I'm saying is that this section was set up for those who are building their own tanks, designing backgrounds/hides/rocks etc. IN MY OPINION, thermostat and lighting questions should be in the General Discussion board.

I'm happy for admin to move it where they feel it most appropriate...

Once again newbie, don't use MV bulbs with Thermostats they are designed to be run and not be be turned on and off. You wont cook a blue tounge on a 60w bulb.

MV bulbs require about 30mins to get up to full strenght. Fluoros and heating do not go hand in hand, you can have one without the other, you can have a heat matt with fluoros.

If you want to light a 4ft tank get a 4ft fish tank light with a reptile UV Bulb depending on the distance to the animal will depend on the strength. Also a MV bulb in a 4ft enclosured tank will heat the whole thing up, and you wont provide a gradient. Your better off having a design that if your thermostat fails there is a fail safe that it wont get too hot and by using a 60W incandescent bulb there is no chance of this happening.

For my monitors I use a 60-75W Spot reflective bulb from bunnings, which is 5-10cm over the heat spot it gets to about 60c which is what monitors need. There is no thermostat and the rest of the enclosure gets between 20-30c. For my keelbacks I use the same bulb but at 30cm and the spot is 30c. If any of these fail the only thing it will do is stop emitting light which means I need to change and there is no chance of it over heating.

If i was to use a MV bulb in either of those enclosures it would bring the enclosures up well and truly above 50c. Most people that use MV use them for desert animals or heat loving animals, in large enclosures like for big monitors and frillies etc.

For a new person a MV bulb is not worth the risk, if you intent on using a thermostat get a standard incandescent and watch it needing to be replaced frequently. If your worried about night heating get a heat matt or heat cord and have that on a timer to come on after dark. I use a cermanic bulb after dark for some of my monitors to enable me to sleep at night but still get the heat to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back