Average Temperature for Morelia s. spilota

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbolomey

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for the av temps for a Coastal -- day and night also humidity.

Thanks
Pablo

For my coastals i have the temps around 34 directly under the basking globe and the cool end would be around 27 degrees. The thermostat is on the back wall in the centre and is set at 30. I've never measured humidity in any of my snake cages. I just have the water bowl down the cool end, and that's it.

Morelia spilota spilota is a diamond python, Morelia spilota mcdowelli is a coastal carpet. :D

I keep mine at hot end 32 and cool end around 25.

I have my two 7 month old Juves in a 4 foot fish tank. Heat lamp is at one end and is about 30 deg. the thernmostat is half way down the tank and set at about 28 deg. Therefore the cooler end ranges between 24 and 26 deg depending on the time of day/night. They spend most of the time down the cooler end..... Bit strange I thought..????

And oh yeah...... Their water dish is just offset from the heat lamp... I do have to refill it every few days so the heat lamp obviously is making the water evaporate, therefore creating the humidity. They have both shed with no problems so I would assume my setup is fine with them....

My Diamond have 14 at night and 22 day with possibilyty to bake for 5 hours dafternoon.

Heat Lamp, as in 75 watt Infared Spot lamp.... I dont know about those ceramic lights... And no one I know has them... So thats why I dont use them...

I am only New at this, so EVERYBODY don't use my opinions as the right way. I am sure evryone would agree we are just after everyone's way of doing things.

Re: RE: Average Temperature for Morelia s. spilota

Ricko said:
in an oven for baking?

Lol you have me there.
By the way temperatures I mentioned are now in cooling period.

RE: Re: RE: Average Temperature for Morelia s. spilota

I have been warned about letting young ones cool down too much...

When do you all think it is old enough to let them cycle through the cooler and warmer months???

I cycle them in there second winter, I keep them warm and feed them through their first.

i agree with hugsta i only picked my new coastal up today but i will keep the temps up around the 34 mark for the hot end and about 26 for the cool, just so you can get some size on them you dont want them going off there food cause of cold temps in their first year.

Is there a need to have them go through the cooling if your not intending to breed them ?????

cheers
chris

surfcop- your animals spending alot of time in the cool end is not strange at all. If you give them acsess to cool temps most reptiles espeicaly pythons will take full advange of it on a regular basis. Your animals should have acsess to room temp all year round even if the temp drops below 5-10 degrees as long as they have a CONSTANT warm area,(from above or below it doesnt matter which), they will thrive. This idea of keeping pythons constantly any where between 20-35 degrees is a very bad thing to do. Long term,- pythons need acsess to cool when ever they desire and I seriously belive more keepers should be giving there animals acsess to it.
Rob

I just use heat tape with a tile siliconed over the top and edges sealed and use the black probe thermostats which have annoyed the hell out of me for years as the they constantly turn on and off but i find the tile conducts and holds heat extremely well keping constant access to heat. But instead of replacing the thermostats which were $100 each when i got them so instead of adding a dimmer or buying a microclimate i'm just going to put the probe in a jar of room temp water and then calibrate from there as at the moment i have the probe right next to the tile ans still getting 3-4 degrees variance which is ok but i'd prefer them not to turn on and off too much which they won't in the winter and in summer will turn off when the temps get more than 34...just doing this instead of throwing away my original thermostats which were recommended at the time.

Your animals should have acsess to room temp all year round even if the temp drops below 5-10 degrees as long as they have a CONSTANT warm area,(from above or below it doesnt matter which), they will thrive. This idea of keeping pythons constantly any where between 20-35 degrees is a very bad thing to do. Long term,- pythons need acsess to cool when ever they desire and I seriously belive more keepers should be giving there animals acsess to it.

I agree.
Adding to that, they should be provided with a hide in the cool end. IME a lot of pythons won't use the cool end if there is no where to hide.
If my pythons want to cool themselves down during winter, I let them. If they don't I continue with the usual routine.

I figure that they know what's best for themselves..

Yes thanks for the info Guys... I do have a hide at both ends of the tank...(one cool one warm/hot) And this year I will keep the tank around 24-30 degree's (depending on the end the sankes are at). Leaving it until next year to put them through a cool period, because at the monent my intention is to breed in the future...

Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back