Avoid problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

With the incubation season here or almost here l believe a lot of people should consider back-up power systems and l think one of the best if not the best going is an inverter system, for those that are unfamiliar with this idea an inverter converts dc [battery power] to ac [house power]or [mains power].....so with this system you need a battery charger an inverter [on ebay] and a deep cycle battery [these run a lot longer than normal car batteries]in your set-up you would have your battery or batteries connected to your inverter which is plugged into your incubator.......now depending how much you want to or have to spend this system it can cost from $200 upwards with probably $1500 being the rough upper limits ...personally l have a large incubator and my system cost approx. $800 but should l have apower outage [which brisbane is famous for] l or my incubator can run at normal [incubating] temps for 28 hours without mains or town power then the battery charger cuts back in when the power comes back on recharges and the sytem is ready for the next power outage.....you only have to lose a clutch of any species and this system has well and truely paid for its self plus the peace of mind ......cheers solar 17 ;)

Excellent advice Solar17. :) Sounds like a small amount of money for a large amount of peace of mind.

With the incubation season here or almost here l believe a lot of people should consider back-up power systems and l think one of the best if not the best going is an inverter system, for those that are unfamiliar with this idea an inverter converts dc [battery power] to ac [house power]or [mains power].....so with this system you need a battery charger an inverter [on ebay] and a deep cycle battery [these run a lot longer than normal car batteries]in your set-up you would have your battery or batteries connected to your inverter which is plugged into your incubator.......now depending how much you want to or have to spend this system it can cost from $200 upwards with probably $1500 being the rough upper limits ...personally l have a large incubator and my system cost approx. $800 but should l have apower outage [which brisbane is famous for] l or my incubator can run at normal [incubating] temps for 28 hours without mains or town power then the battery charger cuts back in when the power comes back on recharges and the sytem is ready for the next power outage.....you only have to lose a clutch of any species and this system has well and truely paid for its self plus the peace of mind ......cheers solar 17 ;)

A small generator will also do the same thing.

wouldnt you need to run a aircon in brisbane around summer time?
how long would the battery last with 1500 aircon running ?
overheating is more deadly to eggs than underheat , infact most eggs can survive a 10degree drop in temps for a 48hour period .
seems like a lot of money to chuck at somthing for such little gain
in a power outage i use hot water bottles , $4 each works a treat (no good if your not at home though)

A 3.5kva genset will cost about $800 and it's big enough to run an incubator, room lights, a small air con unit and your fridge.

inverter v generator

l think if you were considerate you wouldn,t be running a generator in the suburbs plus who is going to start it if no one is home....plus l DON,T believe eggs will survive a 10 degree drop for that long plus l am not interested in finding out...inverter 4 ever [peace of mind] solar 17

generators these days hardly make a sound.

generators grrrrrrh

And if we are at work or out WHO is starting it [our $800 generator] that makes no noise]????????????????... solar 17

i have been thinking about this same issue alot lately as my area seems to have a few outages

does anyone know of a thermometer or something similar that has a low temp alarm as i have found outages seem to happen at night when normal people would be asleep and not even knowing that there incubator is slowly dropping in temp

i have seen thermostats with these types of warnings already instaled but i have just re done mine with a habistat pulse jobby

power alarm

l personally use an outage alarm in the power point beside my bed, within point 3 of a second of the power going off so is the alarm, so at least l am aware the power is off...cheers solar 17

thanks heaps for that solar any more info on that such as a pic, ruff price and where i can get one

Why bother with a battery back up when you can just get a generator outlet put in your switchboard or shed and a run lights and some power in your house from a generator.

I know what i'd be doing. Might cost $3,000 all up, but it is for life. Batteries have a tendency to die quickly.

Cheers

Kris

as the pythonpit said a few hours wont effect the eggs at all, even a day or two as a rule.
And yes, the new generators these days hardly make any noise at all, no where near enough to disturb neighbours.?????????????????.

You guys must live at least 50 kms away from the nearest neighbour if you think it won't disturb them.
I got a 2OOOw honda genny last year and I had to use it twice last season.In the dead of night they make a lot of noise.db level might be relatively low but the frequency they generate travels.

cool-eggs

well True-Blue.....Pythonpit said [48hrs] you have reduced that to a few....now let ANYBODY on this website put their hand-up who wouldn't be stressing to some degree as "PYTHONPIT " SAID with your eggs down 10 degrees for 48hrs , AS HE SAID.......... In the beginning this thread was to high-light a solution some members MAY NOT have been aware of as an alternative .....cheers solar 17

calm down solar no need to get your panties in a twist .
i said what i said because i know from experince, back in the day when you couldnt give hatchies away i did lots of tests and ive had cluches go 4 days in the incubator with the power off and still hatch just fine, 48hours is just a rule of thumb before you should start to panic and everones runs and spends there hard earned on somthing thay will most likey never need.
its realy up to the indivual if you cant stand the thought of your eggs getting a bit cool then by all means spalsh out ,
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT MY TEST WERE DONE IN COFFSHARBOUR PEOPLE LIVING SOUTH OF THAT MAY HAVE DIFFERNT OUTCOMES.

Last season I had two clutches of amyaethat were 2 weeks off hatching when the thermostat in my incubator failed. It got down to 14 deg C and was like that for over 24 hrs before I could get a replacement. I was in panic but it wasnt really warranted as both clutches ended up hatching perfectly normally. I reckon that reptile eggs are far more tolerant of temperature than we give them credit for.

hahaha, why you so upset Baden.
I also just pointed out another alternative.
Read my post again, i said a few hours even up to a DAY or TWO, with out any dramas. A few hours meaning there will be "NO" problem at all.
A generator can be used for many different things,ie camping, house hold appliances etc, and can run a number of things at one time, so imo is far better money spent.

ramsayi, a mate just scored one that is incredibly quiet, you can start it in his shed, walk out side and close the door and it can barely be heard at all.??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back