Avoid problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
inverter v uninformed

"THEPYTHONPIT"..l am not sure where you are coming from when you say to buy it [the inverter] and may never use...its used on the computor as they make the best surge protector known plus the incubator runs through it 24/7..as for "trueblue"this inverter the same size as a shoe box makes camping perfect because it runs the lights, kids games and occasionally the microwave [for sterilisation] in perfect silence as now in QLD gennies aren't allowed by the EPA.....IN MOST PARKS/ RESERVES.....cheers solar17

Your setup is great solar. A generator would work as well but as solar said some one has to be home to turn it on

Talk about putting a good idea down, Baden has a back up power system and yes a generator would do a similar thing. Yes, eggs may be able to cope with a temp drop and maybe water bottles would work.

But now a question, how many people have a generator, how many have it wired into the switchboard and how many have a generator that has auto start.

Baden saw a problem and came up with a solution to it, he should be commended for it.
After being without power for 28 hours a few years ago I've copied Baden's system.

Now when I'm away at work 10 hours a day in storm season a power failure is something I don't have to worry about.

Why would you want to wire the generator to the switchboard?, you just turn the thing on and plug in what ever you want.
As has been said 10 hours with out power to you incubator will do no harm at all.
Plus the main down side to this set up is as FNQ stated, batteries dont last for ever and die quite regulary, so they would constantly have to be replaced for peice of mind, a never ending expense. Batteries just dont seem to last like they did in the old days, another way the manufacturers make more money out of us i spose.

Baden, that was only an example, but there are PLENTY of places to camp where you can use a generator.
Another option is to put the genarator in a sound proof type box, can be made of a few different materials, this takes away pretty much all the noise that even the older gens make, i know a couple of people that have done this for camping etc, with great sucsess.

inverters

TRUE BLUE ....building insulator boxes ....nah not on ....l feel you maybe have some or maybe all bad information on the deep cycle batteries used in these situations as most are gel filled and sealed and at least mine have a 5yr. warranty as they are designed for situations like this UNLIKE conventional batteries....maybe this is just a good system that not everybody is comfortable with .....cheers dears solar 17

i dont see y the snake cant incubate them, in the wild there are no electric incubaters.......... or trained chickens.

Last edited:
insulator boxes are used quite frequently with good results, ahh yes on.

Just because they have a 5 yr warranty dosnt mean that they will last that long.

I'll stick to a genset.
After 3 years on a property in a 100 year old homestead the longest outage was 6 hrs. If you get to the point of needing backup for more than 24hrs it could be out for days.
In that case you'll wish you had a genset

The reason you 'wire your generator in' is so it auto-starts when the power fails,
Electricians can organize this very easily, as soon as mains power stops, the generator kicks in.
It is the ultimate defence against Energex,

Badens Idea is a valid and cost effective way around this.

It all depends on the value of your clutches and what you will do to protect them,

Great if you are home all day and can monitor this.

In summer my snake room cooks at about 2pm, I a/c the room all summer.
If power died here, my incubator wouldnt be the problem, room temp would be,
cooking snakes as well as eggs in the incubator,

The value of any system is paramount, it all comes down to the dollars worth spending to defend that,
Cheers
Adam

ad,- thats why you always put the incubator in the coolest room in the house.

As has been said eggs will last alot longer than you would think if the incubator is turned off so there is no need for the gen to kick in straight away. When ever my incubator is full of eggs i never stray too far and neither do most people, so there is always plenty of time to fire up the gen and get the incubator going again with out any ill effects to the eggs. Simple.

i dont see y the snake cant incubate them, in the wild there are no electric incubaters.......... or trained chickens.

Takes alot out of the snake, lose alot of weight, and dont eat for this period
Or do they eat? I may be wrong, but if they do, its not very often

inverter 4 ever

hey there...l moved onto a condensed housing estate 4 years ago, to have a generator running would be BS [NOT AN OPTION] l coppied the inverter idea 3 years ago, and l work shift-work and l cant hear a thing .....PERFECT...AND HAVEN'T HAD ONE PROBLEM too easy .....sweet dreams Betty Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back