Avoiding Stress?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
I got my JCP hatchie on saturday the 23rd and he had fed the day before (friday). Saturday, she went straight into his click clack (7L Sistema) and i've left her, just checking on him to make sure she's still alive. On Monday, i noticed he must have passed some urates? maybe (Kinda a white solid, powdery mass surrounded by moisture that had a slight tinge of yellow??). As much as i didn't want to stress the little tike, i took her out on a hook and held him (on the hook) while i changed the paper towel substrate. She came up to my hand and sniffed a couple of times, never once tried to bite but definitely seemed a little flighty. When i went to put him back into the click clack, she climbed in and slithered straight back out, down onto the floor and under a cabinet. I gently lifted the cabinet, hooked him again and got her back up into the air and this time, fed him back into the click clack with the lid on and only opened where i fed her back in. Obviously, this encounter will have stressed him out a bit so will i need to wait more time before she settles in?
Should i be able to tell when he has settled? She spends all day in his hide and then comes out at "lights out" and hangs out on her "branch". Will he be more confident during daylight when she has settled maybe?
I'm also changing the water out every 2 days while he is hiding. I guess even this could stress them but needs to be done or should i just leave everything alone and just let her settle?

P.S. If you can't tell, i dont know what sex it is so i just keep referring to it as one then the other.

Youve only had it a few days and he/she will just taking some time to settle in. If you werent bitten straight up then thats always good :) Try and feed it on saturday/sunday and see what happens, if nothing just wait a few days then try again but dont worry if he/she doesnt eat for a while. Most people will say not to handle until after first feed as they usually wont eat until theyre feeling settled.
Dont forget that snakes tend to be nocturnal so coming out at night doesnt mean theyre stressed.

Well, i went in this arvo to check all was good and couldn't even see into the container. The whole container was soaking wet. Completely soaked. It did a poo sometime today and this must have completely humidified the container. Charlie was soaked too. I let him (i'm just going with "him" from now on) slither through some paper towel i was holding then put him in a little plastic takeaway container with paper towel to dry off a bit and completely cleaned out the click clack and got it back to normal then took him back out of the takeaway container and put him back into his home. Seemed pretty content and no biting.
Is it normal for their poo to create so much humidity??
I plan to feed him on Friday so hopefully there will be no reason to take him out tomorrow and he will feed on friday. Fingers crossed

The container has plenty of air holes? Have you got a thermometer and humidity reader in there too? Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation.
Being young he/she shouldn't poo very often as they absorb so many nutrients. Mine has gone 4 feeds without needing to. I'm not really an expert with plastic though, when I got my jcp I put her straight into the larger glass enclosure I plan to keep her in til she's over 1m. Research a bit more if you're worried though.
Youll find unless they bite or slither really fast to get out of you hands then he's not too stressed. If he doesn't feed Friday don't stress just try again a few days later, he may take a week or two to get going.
Feel free to message me.

The container has plenty of air holes? Have you got a thermometer and humidity reader in there too? Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation.
Being young he/she shouldn't poo very often as they absorb so many nutrients. Mine has gone 4 feeds without needing to. I'm not really an expert with plastic though, when I got my jcp I put her straight into the larger glass enclosure I plan to keep her in til she's over 1m. Research a bit more if you're worried though.
Youll find unless they bite or slither really fast to get out of you hands then he's not too stressed. If he doesn't feed Friday don't stress just try again a few days later, he may take a week or two to get going.
Feel free to message me.

thanks for you help. think im just worrying to much

How old is it? Leave it to settle. And stop being such a worry wart.

If the click clack is getting condensation on the lid you don't have enough air holes. Add some more holes then leave your little one alone for a few days. :)

There are heaps of holes in the lid and all the way around the sides. I think it maybe just all the moisture in the air we have after all the rain we have had.
The main thing I was trying to find out is whether I need to do change the water regularly, replace the paper towel substrate etc or just let that go for now till he's settled and how to tell he has settled?
Obviously, after an event such as humidity turning the click clack into a swimming pool, I had to go and clean up but otherwise, just leave the water as long as possible?

HOW do you get TWO heat zones and perches in a 7 litre container ????? PLUS the "fact" that a large poo or water bowl tip over drowns the whole enclosure, Holey Schmoley these snakes are arborial (in a 7 litre container) no way solar 17 ps and all this rubbish about settling in time "if" these snakes had two heat zones and climbing material and a hide they wouldn't stress it gives me a rash these "tiny" so called enclosures :(

HOW do you get TWO heat zones and perches in a 7 litre container ????? PLUS the "fact" that a large poo or water bowl tip over drowns the whole enclosure, Holey Schmoley these snakes are arborial (in a 7 litre container) no way solar 17 ps and all this rubbish about settling in time "if" these snakes had two heat zones and climbing material and a hide they wouldn't stress it gives me a rash these "tiny" so called enclosures :(

Being a noob, i've just tried to follow what everyone on here has told me. It has a perch running the length of the container plus some of the garden ballustrading stuff hanging off that for him to climb on. I use a 7W heatmat at one end running off a custom made thermostat and i have three temp sensors, one on the floor at the heatmat end which controls the thermostat, one ambient at the warm end and one ambient at the cool end and yeah, the floor will stay 32-34 degrees which he seems to like, the ambient warm end will be 28-29 and the cool end sits around 25-26 with the a/c running on a low setting. I've just used some small carboard boxes as hides at each end.
But yeah, everything i have read on here says to keep a hatchy in such a container which is why i did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back