Awful!!! Snakes being skinned alive! - Please sign petition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
be very careful signing anything to do with PETA
If they get their way there will be zero animals kept as pets
pet reptile keeping is high on their agenda to get banned

they use partial and blatantly wrong data to get maximum exposure
very rarely is all the information correct

supporting anything they use can help get your pets banned

be very careful signing anything to do with PETA
If they get their way there will be zero animals kept as pets
pet reptile keeping is high on their agenda to get banned

they use partial and blatantly wrong data to get maximum exposure
very rarely is all the information correct

supporting anything they use can help get your pets banned

Yes, this is true, they are a dangerous mob for sure.

Hi Longqi,

Sustainability of the harvest is an ongoing debate, and unfortunately we will probably not have the answer until the population crashes. However, this hasn't happened yet, and reticulated pythons are probably better suited to high levels of harvest than many think (Burmese aren't harvested from the wild anywhere.. legally :)).

There is no doubt that such large harvests result in population declines, but, similar to green pythons in the other thread, I don't think collection alone will ever result in the extinction of these snakes (at least on the mainland - in the GTP example, small island populations may be at risk).

For those that think the snakes are still alive while they are skinned - I'm not saying it doesn't happen occasionally, but it doesn't happen often. If you destroy the brain of any animal then it dies instantly - fact. Sure, it would be naive to think that every blow lands correctly, but this is the exception rather than the norm. There is no incentive whatsoever to keep the snakes alive while they are being skinned - so why do it?

I'm not condoning any part of this trade; I'm merely giving an unbiased viewpoint based on correct information - which is more than I can say for PETA.

If you have the urge to sign a petition, don't jump the gun by signing one that would suspend trade and endanger the livelihoods of many poor people - sign one that calls for more research into humane methods of slaughter and capacity building for local people to slaughter animals in a way that you (not they) find more socially acceptable.

Dan

I fully understand about burmese but there are no farms in kalimantan breeding burmese yet possibly 20/30% of the finished products from there are definitely burmese
totally agree about island populations being very susceptible to over harvesting

somewhat agree about retics as we get many calls to relocate them even here in populated bali
but big females were first targets for skins and they are the prime breeding stock
with much fewer of them available now the crash might happen within 5 years
when hunters stop hunting because of lack of targets something is wrong with the ecological balance in that area

peter

Signed, it saddens me the things humans are capable of doing to animals.
The worst thing I have ever seen is called the meat video on youtube....it is utterly horrific....particularly what happens to the little chicks as soon as they hatch.

For those that think the snakes are still alive while they are skinned - I'm not saying it doesn't happen occasionally, but it doesn't happen often. If you destroy the brain of any animal then it dies instantly - fact. Sure, it would be naive to think that every blow lands correctly, but this is the exception rather than the norm. There is no incentive whatsoever to keep the snakes alive while they are being skinned - so why do it?

your right there , they hit them on the head with a big hammer , at least thats what i was told by one of my mums friends who owns a business in bali making handbags that are exported to america , his go for around $2000 though not really made for sale on the streets of bali , i wasnt real impressed when i first met him but its not like they skin them alive like has been said

I fully understand about burmese but there are no farms in kalimantan breeding burmese yet possibly 20/30% of the finished products from there are definitely burmese
totally agree about island populations being very susceptible to over harvesting

somewhat agree about retics as we get many calls to relocate them even here in populated bali
but big females were first targets for skins and they are the prime breeding stock
with much fewer of them available now the crash might happen within 5 years
when hunters stop hunting because of lack of targets something is wrong with the ecological balance in that area

peter

For Longqi,

Couldn't attach the doc, so here is the link from google;

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6IGoBA&usg=AFQjCNEVcLJ9wK7JUrs-lL79PIl6EdA7MQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back