Awkward Coastal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknifejimmy

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a 22 month old coastal and over the last 10 or so days his attitude has really changed.
His aggression seems to have increased alot. He rears when I go to handle him - has refused to let me get him out of his enlosure and a week ago struck at me several times for the first time.
Nothing in his environment at all has changed.
He fed on the 21st, shed on the 24th and fed again on the 27th,
I didn't handle him at all between these times.
Handled on the 20th, which was when he first struck at me, and just went to handle him again but I couldnt get him out of his enclousre at all.
He's just over 3 feet and feeding on juvenile rats once a week so I don't think he's too hungry, any anythoughts?

His skin may have been sensitive coming up to a shed, I know Gremlin(he who does bite on occasion lol)will be a little on the unsettled/irritated side when he needs an upsize in food. He is 12 months old and nearly 1m in length(Coastal Carpet Python) He is feeding on Jumbo mice at the moment

Hrm. No experience with carpets but maybe his hormones are kicking in at that age? Might be looking for some lurve! Again, I have no experience with them, just merely a suggestion. Good luck and I hope you can sort it out.

Doubt its hunger, he fed less than 3 days ago, the sensitive skin thing could be an issue, just have to wait that one out to know.
The hormones thing could make sense, he's almost 2...
I do fear he's a little under size for his age and quite defensive too though, just over 3 feet(I've only had him 2 months from a wholesale breeder) don't know whether that makes it just a natural issue.
Or perhaps he just has a turd of a temperament...

Being hungry is not about feeding frequency, but also the volume of food. As they grow their food needs increase. As they age they do tend to try and stuff themselves over summer so they can focus on other things over winter. As they become more mature they eat as much as they can over summer and often go off their food over winter. Is a genral rule but if nothing else has changed, I would try feeding larger food and seeing if that makes a difference. To be honest from what you have said it is the most likely cause. Certainly when slothing they can feel vunerable especially when their eyes are effected.

Best of luck

I have a blonde mac who is always a bit on edge but gets real cranky when he is hungry. As hissnbits said it ma also be about food size not just frequency and you may need to move up a size in rats/mice

HTH
James

fed him a pinky rat last night(all I had on hand at the time) and he gobbled it up, so I think it is just a feeding issue with him right now, thanks for the help guys.

fed him a pinky rat last night(all I had on hand at the time) and he gobbled it up, so I think it is just a feeding issue with him right now, thanks for the help guys.

Hey mate, this post answered the question of hunger. At 2 years old, all of my morelia are eating 300g adult rats or bigger. Do me a favour, weigh your snake, and let us know here what it weighs, then we could offer a more suitable feeding regimen that will in all liklihood, make your snake less bitey.

Cheers,
Aaron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back