Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks to everyone, Ive enjoyed reading all your opinions. Big thanks to MrB who has wiped out any doubt I had.
Cheers.

Normal Western BHP or Axanthic Eastern BHP?

Attachments

• zIMG_1649a.jpg
    zIMG_1649a.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 69
Same Question?

Attachments

• z1026AU.jpg
    z1026AU.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 67
so this is what my old man has been bugging me about..
they look awsom..
so 1st question, where can you get them.. and Q.2 how much
would they always stay that colouring or will it change with age?
is it something that is passed onto the offspring? like the albino gene?

My guess is normal WA BHP's ad (as i know you keep them), but there is no way anyone could possibly tell from simply viewing those pics, or even by viewing the animals. If you can find an albino BHP, breed the two together, then breed the hatchies together, 1 out of every 16 (on average) resulting hatchies should be white and pink/red if they are truly axanthic.

Proving black and white WA BHP's to be axanthic, or not to be axanthic, is something that is well and truly beyond me. Perhaps they are, who knows? How can you prove that an animal cannot make yellow pigments, if their colour/pattern does not require them to produce yellow, it's almost mission impossible. You could breed a WA to a QLD, if all the hatchies showed yellow colours, and then those hatchies were bred back to the WA parent and 50% of the babies were black and white, you'd sure have a good case for proving them to be axanthic.

Another thing to remember, is that just because we can't see yellow in their colours, does not mean they are not producing the yellow pigments, they may be so minute that they are not visible to the naked eye?? I really don't know...

Hi Mr B,
Thanks for replying, and yes, I reckon a hard one to answer confidently,

The first pic is a hatchling that came from full eastern parents,
The second pic is my female wa bhp.
Cheers
Adam.

Hi Mr B,
Thanks for replying, and yes, I reckon a hard one to answer confidently,

The first pic is a hatchling that came from full eastern parents,
The second pic is my female wa bhp.
Cheers
Adam.

OH, just saw you posted the answers already!!!!
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back