B1ME - temperature inconsistancy...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ytamarin

Reaction score
I use the B1ME thermostat with a heat mat to regulate the temp of my click clack. Was wondering if anyone else finds that it seems innacurate? I have a probe thermometer set up as well, and the two probes are close to one another so should read the same temperature.
But, I have to set the thermostat to a few degrees lower than the temperature displayed by the thermometer. Lately it has been even worse and no matter what I do the thermometer seems to always creep up to around 34degrees even with the stat set to 27. It's as though the thermostat isn't doing anything at all and the heat mat is just constantly heating.
Anyone else had this problem or knows what I might be doing wrong? I'm not sure whether I should trust the thermometer or the thermostat to give a more accurate 'reading'.

it may have something to do with your positioning of the thermostat probe. I don't pay too much attention to the temp dial on the thermostat. adjust the thermostat according to the thermometer readings.

Ok, thanks. I currently have it set to 28deg to get a thermo reading of 32.6 degrees. What worries me is that I have to adjust the thermostat too often to keep it consitent, I might have a look later today and the reading could be 29deg or 34deg even though I haven't touched anything. I thought the idea was that you set it at the temperature you want and then it stays pretty close to that temp all the time?

i feel your pain, i spent hours on friday night getting temps right in a new enclosure, then i put in the hides and waterbowls and bits and pieces and it changed again. i had spent the last few days playing with it and now it seems to be good. i am using a b1 thermo and light bulb and imo works fine, alot more consistant compared to the on/off types.

I dont us thermostats but im fairly sure it should be in direct contact with the heat mat to work properly.

I would just get rid of the mat and thermostat and get a 4m 15 watt cord.

The most important thing with any thermostat is not to adjust it to often. It can take days for it to settle and cold nights / warm days will always change the temperature.
A non contact themometer will give you a better idea of the temp, the probe thermometer may just be in a particularly warm spot.

Hmmm well I would have assumed, as both the thermometer and thermostat use a probe, that if you put the probes in the same place, they would detect the same temperature. Mais non!
Maybe it is time to set up his permament enclosure, and put the click clack in that...

are you measuring the heat at the floor? it will be hotter further up off the ground.

Yeah they are both on the floor. If anything the thermostat probe doesn't sit as flat on the bottom as the the thermometer probe, but the ends are at the same height.
I'll try what you said Magpie and not touch it for a few days, it just worries me when it gets to over 34 degrees and the little fella is sitting under the paper towel where it would be even hotter.

Try using a different thermometer, its not unusual for those cheap thermometers to be out of calibration. Also if you stick the two probes together maybe with blue tac, you can ensure you are reading the same temperature. Also if the area where the probe is located is subject to drafts then the temps will move up and down alot as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm well I would have assumed, as both the thermometer and thermostat use a probe, that if you put the probes in the same place, they would detect the same temperature.
Problem is you're assuming both are reading the same, they won't be even close. Stats have only a rough temp scale, digital probe thermometers are typically accurate to 0.5 of a degree. As already mentioned forget the setting on the stat and use the thermometer to setup the temps.

Problem is you're assuming both are reading the same, they won't be even close. Stats have only a rough temp scale, digital probe thermometers are typically accurate to 0.5 of a degree. As already mentioned forget the setting on the stat and use the thermometer to setup the temps.
Ok, so how then do you set the stat up so you don't have to keep adjusting it? I'm happy to have it set at a lower temperature to what the thermometer is telling me, but I'd like it to stay at that temperature after I set it, not have it fluctuate so dramatically.
The click clack is in my bedroom, the temperature in there gets cool at night, and sometimes heats up in the evening if I have my heater on. It's not near the window so no direct sunlight or breeze.
Thanks for all your help, I think I expect too much from my electrical equipment! Although those B1MEs aren't cheap so I am just a little underwhelmed at it's accuracy and precision.

i have found that the micro climates are not accurate to the dial on the front of them.the best way is to have a probe digital thermometer placed at the same spot as your micro climate probe and adjust accordingly.

Ummm just to clear one thing up ....... you are aware of the night day mode on these units?

thermometer probe

Just be aware that the thermometer probe will warm up to a high temp if it actually touches the surface - if it moves and 'floats' even 1mm off the surface the temp it reads will drop by 2-3 deg.

Or if it sits on paper/substrate, rather than touching the floor of the click clack - can cause major changes in the reading - I found that as the animals move around they nock the probe into slightly differnt places and you get a different reading.

I ended up putting my thermometer probe in the hide (cadbord box with floor in it) where my mac sleeps.

Dont stress too much - if its a bit warm your snake will move away - they cope with big temp changes in the wild.

A found a hide box big enough that one end is over the heat mat and the other just of the mat so that they can choose where they sleep.

I use a B1ME and find hat the temps still vary from 31-32 in the day to 29 at night with no night time drop set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back