Baby Beardie acting older than he is?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfoot

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is that even possible?

Ajax is a month and a half old, housed in a glass tank with foam insulation on all sides (excluding the front) and the bottom.

The past two days I have seen him 'waving' his arms, puffing out his beard and standing up on his front legs as if to say "i'm the boss, deal with it" and he seems to be obsessed with the part of his climbing branches that goes closest to the glass of the tank. I thought being only almost 2 months old I wouldn't see waving/head bobbing/beard puffing for a while because that's a mating/dominicance thing, isn't it?

Temps are, basking spot gets no highter than 37 and the tank gets no colder than 29. (The lowest I've seen was 28, and it was at 4am.)

I have a female EWD in the same room, but she's 3 years old and 60cms+. Could she be who Ajax is waving to or trying to intimidate? Ajax is 14cm-15cm, so compared to her he's tiny. I can see why he'd feel intimidated, but I don't think he can even see Tilly's (EWD) enclosure, which is a massive wall unit, unless it's through a mirror on one of my walls.

Why is my beardie displaying these behaviours at such a young age? Should I do anything to stop it?

thats what beardies do, i wouldnt discourage the behaviour at all. just watch and enjoy. they're funny little buggers

I know these are behavioural things a beardie does, I just wasn't expecting to see them at such a young age. It's actually quite funny when he tries to take me on. He's never bitten or clucked at me, he just bobs his head and waves at me. 14cm baby beardie VS 5'10" human, and I'm still pretty sure Ajax would win.

He also LOVES gold coins. They're shiny, loud and he tries to steal my money from my change bowl all the time!

the waving and beard stretching is perfectly normal in babies,...(not to mention incredibly cute)
the black bearding and aggressive headbobbing/foot stomping ive only seen in older beardies, and that is the dominance/matiing behaviour.

Thanks guys. I was just worried that maybe he'd found his own reflection or something because we have to cover the mirrors for my EWD, when she's out of her enclosure. If she see's herself, or I guess another dragon, she tries to attack it. Once she was heat butting, tail whipping and opening her mouth at herself and I actually got scared at how aggressive she got.

I guess I was worried about Ajax hurting himself when I'm not around to help him, or move him away from his reflection.

I've also heard of beardies 'falling in love' with their reflections?

Wow, that's so creepy...

Wow, that's so creepy. You know my friend bee? rofl

Yep. Im a weirdo..

And yes, i Know Beee. She will trip when i tell her about this haha.
I wouldnt of even noticed, except she put up a pic of your dragon the other day..name matches and your from the coast.. small world ;)

Holy crap! that's so weird hahaha!

Oh yeah, on facebook? Are you the person she said was the reptile queen or something? Haha, this is so cool omg.

Really?? I know a few..
I dont have my Geckos anymore.

I mostly have Dragons now,

Nice to meet you anyway haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back