bad grammar knockers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I am so surprised about is that this thread has brought out the Grammar Nazi Squads yet those that profess to being in this said squad have themselves got errors throughout their rant.

I am a teacher - I teach Physics - firstly it doesn't make me good at English at all!!! In fact I'd suggest iam merely average at grammar. I'd hope that you don't find mistakes (other than accidental typographical errors) in my posts. However, the one thing I do accept, is I am open for constructive criticism and I learn.

I agree with many people's points of view here - there is more to just bad English than ignorance. There's probably a lot of underlying issues that we don't need to know about.

But above all - if someone corrects you (constructively) listen and learn and don't take it personally.

Learn where an apostrophe goes.

Learn the difference between their and there.

That's a start... I have loads more incidentally - but I don't quite have the time right now :)

'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

This is a Facebook group I came across......it made me laugh! :lol:

I try very hard most of the time to make sure my posts are spelt correctly and all the dots and dashes are in the correct place. or ; Problem is it is very time consuming as i find it very difficult (5 mins just to get this far). I understand that this can be frustrating for the reader, as I can detect bad punctuation in others posts more than my own. Sometimes they can be difficult to read but I persevere because often these peoples replys are very intelligent and their input and knowledge is highly regarded by me. Some people on this forum can be intolerant of other people that don't have a good grasp of of the english language. I suggest these people should try and understand that there are various reasons why, whether it be a lack of education (no fault of their own) or maybe they just find it very difficult to grasp (Fragment - no suggestions). It doesn't make me or others less intelligent and it would be foolish to assume so as you may just miss out on that bit of info you were asking for in the first place and that wouldn't be very smart.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)
I hope you take it as it was intended - a joke.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)
I hope you take it as it was intended - a joke.

That took me ages to write and I thought I had it spot on, Then Vince had to inform me there was even more that you didn't pick up, as you didn't have all day :rolleyes:. This just highlights my point after putting in so much effort on such a small thread I am actually shocked at just how many mistakes I made.
No offence taken and thanks for highlighting my errors. Even if it was intended as a smart**** comment it would be water of a ducks back to me. I didn't post this thread because someone had offended me, but rather just to highlight the potential to offend others who would then be less inclined to participate constructively on this forum. Also I was not having a go at people who offer constructive criticism but those on their high horses with nothing better to do than take digs at others, especially when the victim is barely a teenager.

P.s. when you have finished marking my paper could you please take the time to go through all of my other posts with red ink. Thank you

I was threatened once on this forum by a member who decided I was attacking her dyslexic daughter when I made a thread to plead for people to read their posts before posting for spelling/grammatical errors. I no longer reply to poorly constructed posts, unless it is obvious that the poster has English as a second language. If the poster just doesn't give a poop about how they will be percieved through thier writing (and I would love to know how this goes for them in 'real life' situations such as resume writing) then why should I care about their problems? The occasional gramatical or spelling error is in my mind not a problem, it is the consistent sms 'txt speak' and constant mis-spelling of basic words like 'Yeah' - it's not 'yer'. There, their, they're, laid, layed, 'encloser' (seriously?) blah blah etc etc.

My rant, please send death threats to someone who gives a crap :)

A dyslexic daughter stiill has the advantage of a spell check - a spell check works whether you have a learning impariment or not.

I was threatened once on this forum by a member who decided I was attacking her dyslexic daughter when I made a thread to plead for people to read their posts before posting for spelling/grammatical errors. I no longer reply to poorly constructed posts, unless it is obvious that the poster has English as a second language. If the poster just doesn't give a poop about how they will be percieved through thier writing (and I would love to know how this goes for them in 'real life' situations such as resume writing) then why should I care about their problems? The occasional gramatical or spelling error is in my mind not a problem, it is the consistent sms 'txt speak' and constant mis-spelling of basic words like 'Yeah' - it's not 'yer'. There, their, they're, laid, layed, 'encloser' (seriously?) blah blah etc etc.

So does my post come under the occasional errors category or can't be bothered with this category . Also when i pressed the quote button it highlighted some of your basic spelling mistakes

OH I'm so so tempted to go through and highlight the spelling/grammatical mistakes from people who are claiming to use correct spelling/grammar/punctuation in their posts...but i understand mistakes are made and it would just be stirring the pot :)

Typo's are very different to badly written English. I know there is one person in particular on here who's posts I will just not read anymore because it is just too much effort.
Anyway, have a nice day, all.

Eh, the human mind could make up sentences based off of few words before SMSing was around. I've forgotten the ACTUAL amount of letters per word and all that jazz, but its something along the lines of as long as the word has 2 or 3 letters in the correct sequence, the rest of it can be random characters or jumbled up things and the brain will interpret it.

What you say may well be true (I have seen an example and it does work) however it only works if the reader knows what the word is meant to be in the first place and I am not certain half the kids and young adults getting about today have even half a clue.

A dyslexic daughter stiill has the advantage of a spell check - a spell check works whether you have a learning impariment or not.

Sometimes spell check gets it wrong, I think that's because they use American English. Can the computer check my punctuation ?

Steve1, I have no problem with any of your posts, you have occasional spelling/grammar mistakes, but who doesn't? ;) It is the constant poorly constructed, illegible, incoherant posts that I won't read. I don't think I said I never make mistakes, in fact, I am sure I make plenty.

Quite honestly, when reading, I usually just mentally correct and keep going, but having to actually translate into a coherant sentence just hurts my head, so I don't bother :)

For my peace of mind though, what did I mispell? Other than 'encloser' and 'layed' which were deliberate? I can't seem to get the quote thing to show me my mistakes.

Oh, and when I mentioned being threatened by the woman with the dyslexic daughter, can I just point out that I had never mentioned/attacked (in my thread) her, her daughter - neither of whom I knew - or learning disabilities in any form. The woman just decided I was attacking her daughter - who, to my knowledge, isn't even a forum member and I had had no contact with - and went off the deep end at me.

That took me ages to write and I thought I had it spot on, Then Vince had to inform me there was even more that you didn't pick up, as you didn't have all day :rolleyes:. This just highlights my point after putting in so much effort on such a small thread I am actually shocked at just how many mistakes I made.
No offence taken and thanks for highlighting my errors. Even if it was intended as a smart**** comment it would be water of a ducks back to me. I didn't post this thread because someone had offended me, but rather just to highlight the potential to offend others who would then be less inclined to participate constructively on this forum. Also I was not having a go at people who offer constructive criticism but those on their high horses with nothing better to do than take digs at others, especially when the victim is barely a teenager.

P.s. when you have finished marking my paper could you please take the time to go through all of my other posts with red ink. Thank you

Hey mate, glad you took it as intended - I was just having a dig.
I make mistakes in my posts too... and I tend to agree with others who have commented - it is not the occasional spelling/grammar error that bugs people, it is the incoherent text speak, or the seriously bad threads where people haven't even bothered to read back over what they've written. Spelling/grammar aren't as important, as long as the intended message is clear.

So does my post come under the occasional errors category or can't be bothered with this category . Also when i pressed the quote button it highlighted some of your basic spelling mistakes

Percieved through thier writing.

Just because a word is basic to others does not mean it is basic for everybody, I had no idea I should have been using their instead of there until it was kindly pointed out to me in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back