bad shed - head didn't come off....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunMorelia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, our 10mth old didn't shed properly and has retained the whole head....:(
I have tried a few different methods to help him out eg soaking in a tub, damp towel etc but it hasn't helped at all.
Are there any suggestions as to help him get the shed started around his mouth? or should I take him to a vet?
He's a healthy snake and eats and poos without any dramas.

Thanks.

I have done a search of the forums as well but none really related to this one.

So another question would be, if they retain eye scales, how does one go about removing them?

I have done a search of the forums as well but none really related to this one.

So another question would be, if they retain eye scales, how does one go about removing them?
go and get yourself a rubber thumb from an office works place ...they grip the scales no worries and are gentle enough not to hurt the eye...unlike using a tweezer where you can slip and do damage ...rub the thumb gentle across the eye cap and lift it off ...you may have to do it a few times ...but better then risking your snakes eye ...

Ive been told sticky tape also works, correct me if im wrong... thats for the eyes?

go and get yourself a rubber thumb from an office works place ...they grip the scales no worries and are gentle enough not to hurt the eye...unlike using a tweezer where you can slip and do damage ...rub the thumb gentle across the eye cap and lift it off ...you may have to do it a few times ...but better then risking your snakes eye ...
Thanks.
I will snag one from work today and give it a go tonight after I give him another soak/warm damp towel.

As he didn't get the shed started at his mouth (started just behind his skull) is there any suggestions about starting that part off for him?

Cheers.

maybe see about gentlty stroking the edge back with the pad of your finger... don't peel it, but see it it will gently rub off... though I've never had to do anything like that before hopefully some one with more exp can tell you?

Last edited:
Ok just what i was told from a breeder, he said that its eyes are behind there skin and that it doesnt hurt nor bother them and it gets the scales off, as i said correct me if im wrong

maybe see about gentlty stroking the edge back with the pad of your pinger... don't peel it, but see it it will gently rub off... though I've never had to do anything like that before hopefully some one with more exp can tell you?
What the hell is a pinger? haha jks.
I will be trying this again with the rubber finger tip starting from the nose back to see if the rubber does it a little better.

Ok just what i was told from a breeder, he said that its eyes are behind there skin and that it doesnt hurt nor bother them and it gets the scales off, as i said correct me if im wrong
I still would be avioding stickytape.

how long did you soak it warm water for? it needs to be a least 30mins and if that doesn't work do it again, make sure it's deep enough for it to swim in.

the risks of something going wrong is so much more ...why risk it ...when a rubber thumb wont get stuck to any part of the snake and will be able to safely grip the cap no worries ...Londos not saying you were not informed rightly ,sticky tape will work ,but as I said ,it isnt the best and safest option out there ...
S word after you soak in a wet towel ..you can use the rubber thumb to try and help start the shed ...good luck

Cheers RBB, ive never done it or anything my snakes always come straight off after the whole soak in warm water and damp towel, so yer, hopefully never have to go any further

how long did you soak it warm water for? it needs to be a least 30mins and if that doesn't work do it again, make sure it's deep enough for it to swim in.
Didn't really have him soaking in a tub for very long as its head not the rest of the body that has the retained shed.
And as they prefer to be able to breathe than their head be submerged to soak it isn't viable.
So I will be using the damp warm towel method over and over till it comes off.

Thanks RBB, I will post the success tonight. :D

id just get a spray bottle and keep misting his head every few hrs for a day or 2 first ... he will most likely do the rest himself if given the chance.

I had a similar issue with my 9mo BHP. When bathing, i also threw in a couple of chamomile tea bags which was recommended to me by a couple of herpers. Also had some branches in there which she seemed to enjoy rubbing against /, weaving through. She's a lil different to my other snakes and loves getting her head submerged, stays underwater for a minute or 2.

mine's got a retained head shed and i tried most of these methods to get it off. it's still there a few weeks later but I've been told by a few people to just leave it, it should come off next shed. hoping so anyway :)

I got it off completely last night.
I wasn't able to get a hold of a rubber thumb so I used a washed latex glove instead.
He didn't like it as he hissed at me for the first time, but i was able to remove the whole lot of the retained shed and double checked that I got the eye caps.
He mainly got hissy when the shed was covering his eyes so he couldn't see properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back