bad shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejudd

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi my one of my python's went into shed a little while ago, once she finally showed her self again it wasnt complete started around half way down her body,i bathed her and got what was left from there down to her tail but the top half is still there, what do i do will i just leave her to do the rest her self if she will? i dont like the idea of rubbing the old skin back against the grain so to speak.

I had an issue with my bhp's when I first started keeping them. You will need to put them in a warm bath for around 30-45minutes and it should come off pretty easily. More importantly try and work out why the problem has occured. In my case the room temp was too low and the hot end wasn't getting hot enough. I fixes it by heating the room up and haven't had an issue since.

Giving your animal a bath in luke warm water will help. If you have a reptile store near by the product "shed ease" actually works really well. Just a few tablespoons in the water (proper ratio is on the box), after 10mins or so I start moving the snake through my hands & gently try to remove the shed. It should come off easily. I would recommend using that product when the snake has retained skin on its head which can be difficult to remove.
Good luck,
Andrew

if the shed is on the head get a damp towel and encourage the snake to slither through it as they rub against the damp towel the skin should come off. One way to stop this happening again is to watch when the snake is coming into shed and spray the snake lightly with a water sprayer every day. you will find just increasing the humidity like that over the shed will help enormously with her getting her skin off.

Elizabeth

increase humidity by putting another water bowl in the hot end, lots of water.

heat and humidity, make sure its not too humid, if you use the second water source only keep in in there for the shed, i had excess humidity and my last python got blister disease and died, not pretty

one of my coastal pythons had a bad shed had to remove the skin from her tail so when shes about to shed now i spray her everyday from a spray bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back