Bad shedding - what can cause this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12-08-67

Reaction score
Hi, i got home last nite to find little pieces of shed around my 10ths old stimson's tank and when i looked at him his head and some bits of his upper and under body has shed, i thought he was still a few days off shedding as he has been spending most of his time in his cool hide. I bathed/soaked him in luke warm water and put him in soft cloth under my shirt and after about 20min did this again and his shed came off but i am concerned that there may be an issue with him. His enclosure is 60x45x40, heat mat on one side 20x15 with hide over and other end is another hide and his water with a climb in the middle. His temps havent changed since he arrived 12weeks ago (24 - 34)and 2 sheds have been perfect, only thing different is i have increased his food to either fuzzy mice or pinkie rat which he devoures, his last food was saturday. Could i have fed him too close to shedding and isnt he suppose to stay near his hot area when in shed mode, or could i be doing something wrong :cry:

hotter weather through out the days and less humidity i reckon might be the reason .... if you notice him in shed next time i would give the enclosure a bit of a mist with water might help him

Thanks will try that, i did buy a spray but thought i had more time so will keep closer eye next time around.

thanks, i can close over his side air vents and do the misting when he next comes up and will make sure i bath him more through that period, i may have caused the humidity to be too dry by having too much air flow in enclosure :(

Misting when the eyes start to clear up just before a shed should be adequate or having a water bowl with large surface area at the warm end at this time. You can also moisten the substrate slightly or chuck in a soaked paper towel or moist clean rag, this will help to maintain humidity.

If closing off air vents be careful to make sure there is still airflow and that temps dont start to climb. Dont want to cook your mate.

Aaron

Yes will be careful and thanks, his enclosure on both ends has all top half 20cm air vents the full width as well as in the roof and hence the thought of too much air flow compaired to other enclosures, i didnt want him getting too hot in summer in side so opted for this style but can now see how the humidity could be too dry, will go and get proper thermostats etc so am not guessing things for his health.

I am sure it is weather.......I had never had a bad shed and the shed Alvin had before his last one just as the hot weather kicked in had the potential to be a bad one. I was just so lucky I was home doing housework and I noticed him rubbing and rubbing and I could see all his skin looking dry and flakey....so I quickly grabbed the water mister I keep handy and drenched him...and it was like he knew and he just stopped and curled up and waited for the water to soften everything and then went on to have a really good shed.

I just do a light mist every day the moment I see them being really quiet and their skin going dark and cloudy and I havent had a bad shed with any of my babies.

My stimi has had the same issue the last 2 sheds. But the previous ones have been just fine. I aslo think its the hot, dry weather causing it. Do you have one of those fake, bendy vines? Its nice and rough (but not rough enough to scrape the skin). I put the vine and snake in a plastic tub with a dribble of water in it. She rubbed her body on the vine and the skin came off instantly. The vine is now in her cage so i'm hoping i wont have this issue again with her next shed.

My water pythons have that problem ALL the time. It seems almost impossible to keep the humidity at a constant level. I did however come across a youtube video relating to another species that had a good idea.

You get a plastic container easily big enough for the snake to curl up in, put some sphagnum moss in it, with some water then cut a hole in the top of the lid big enough for the snake to get in. They will sometimes get in there before shedding for the moisture.

I've seen my water pythons soaking in their waterbowl just before shedding, but that idea would reduce spillage, while still providing moisture.

I love the sphagnum idea. I'm in humid Brisbane but our winters are dry. Last winter I put warm water in a separate water dish every couple of days and misted when coming up to a shed. I've never had a bad shed with my guys since the first, when it was broken in sections and very very dirty.

Insufficient humidity and/or hyration are the usual culprits. The humidity issues are well covered. To ensure your python is drinking sufficiently prior to a shed, change the water regularly. Most will not drink water that has stood more than a day. I would also hold off on feeding as moisture that is diverted to the digestive processes could clash with the moisture needed to separate the old skin from the new.

Blue

thanks everyone, i have gone out and got reptile misting/moisture spray and some sphagnum moss to be prepaired next time. I have noticed he still has some old skin left just behind his head that is very hard to get him to co operate in loosening it. In all other areas he seems to be thriving and has grown about 20cm in 3mths.

Just make sure the skin is not forming a band as this can form a constriction and kill the snake. If it is just a small patch it chould come off next time

its only a small patch on one side and top half about 2cm long and .5cm wide, if i can still concerned i will get him checked out at end of week :)

Move your water bowl to the warm side. One of the problems with pythons that need a good soak is that the water is too cold for them to comfortably do this. I have a small bhp that had two bad sheds. I moved the water bowl to create more humidity. But I have noticed with the warmer water he sometimes takes a swim before a shed. Haven't had a problem shed since.

thanks, was thinking about doing that so now will definately move it over :)

Not sure if the same but my BHP did the same - ended up being the substrate I was using.(suggested by another member on here) I was using kitten litter (which is fine for all my other snakes) but for some reason my BHP did not like it. Once I changed to newspaper and gave her a good spray when noticed she was coming to shed - had a perfect shed!

i am using the breeders choice kitty litter and now have changed to the moss in his warm hide and paper towel in his cool hide, as combined with the absorbant kitty litter and large air flow in his enclosure the humitity could easily be too dry, am really crossing my fingers the next shed will be ok with the changes i have put in place as hate to feel as though its my fault causing the problem:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back