Ball pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levihobby

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if ball pythons are still illegal in western Australia (Geraldton 4 hours from perth) I did a bit of research if they were or not and only found old records of them being illegal i was just wondering have the laws changed?

no ball pythons are exotics so they are completely illegal all over aus unless you just happen to own a zoo or something lol.

Yea, thought so i don't see why they don't let us own. I know after all the cane toads ect. We could just get them desexed before we recive them? then even if they do escape or bad owners release them they can't repopulate :\

yeah i often thought that to but its to stop the introduction of new diseases and stuff like that aswell as a pest population of animals.

Do a search through anything on this forum or anywhere else. Exotics are illegal full stop. WA is the strictest on any keepers, and we can't even keep all WA endemic species, let alone Australian.
You can find a list of available reptiles on the DEC website.

MON

Yea it really annoys me i also wanted to research some pacman frogs but they're exotic sadly.

Do a search through anything on this forum or anywhere else. Exotics are illegal full stop. WA is the strictest on any keepers, and we can't even keep all WA endemic species, let alone Australian.
You can find a list of available reptiles on the DEC website.

MON

have you researched Tasmainian laws? we cant keep any reptiles located out of our state. also you can keep a diverse range of species we have skinks, elapids and one agmid... *shrug*

Hey Tassie97,

Sorry i forgot about you guys. I will admit that our system is better then yours.
It still sucks though. My brother is in Tassie, though he is scared ****eless of any reptiles.
At least you guys can see some nice tigers.

MON

or..

Can my pet mongoose live in the same enclosure as my king olive python?

Hey would you guys know of any legal species of frogs in western australia that are a look alike to the pacman/horned frog?

Hey would you guys know of any legal species of frogs in western australia that are a look alike to the pacman/horned frog?

Easiest answer is no.
Look through this list. Find a frog, google it, decide if you like it.
People that keep exotics just makes it harder for the rest of us that are doing the right thing, and makes even more likely that our list won't get expanded.

Category 2
Scientific name Common name
Litoria caerulea Northern Green Tree Frog
Litoria moorei Western Green Tree Frog

Category 3
Litoria splendida Magnificent Tree Frog

Category 4
Heleioporus albopunctatus Western Spotted Frog

Yea, thought so i don't see why they don't let us own. I know after all the cane toads ect. We could just get them desexed before we recive them? then even if they do escape or bad owners release them they can't repopulate :\

How on earth would you desex a snake ?

How on earth would you desex a snake ?

Removal of the ovaries and oviduct will sterilize a snake. This still is a difficult situation though as the snake would need to be desexed before sale (in order to regulate the restrictions) and it seems that removal of the oviducts alone will not sterilize the patient and it will also leave them susceptible to egg binding so there is a margin for error.

I have heard of a way to desex snakes but I'm not sharing.
The fact that people know how to do this makes me feel all yucky.

It's a veterinary procedure Darlyn, which is necessary to perform in some cases in order to treat certain conditions. It's not always just to stop the animal from reproducing.
What I mean to say is that it may make you feel yucky but do understand it should be a medical procedure, not for your average Joe to do down in the back shed. no cruelty should be involved :)

It's a veterinary procedure Darlyn, which is necessary to perform in some cases in order to treat certain conditions. It's not always just to stop the animal from reproducing.
What I mean to say is that it may make you feel yucky but do understand it should be a medical procedure, not for your average Joe to do down in the back shed. no cruelty should be involved :)

Umm... I wasn't reffering to a medical procedure I was inferring that some breeders can
certainly "desex animals" that will ensure no sold "special" animals will reproduce.

I know that some people do (or at least know how to) but they shouldn't. I definitely dont agree with breeders desexing their pets, I'm pretty sure it's illegal - if you get caught of course. Sorry I was a little mentally challenged this morning and my post was a little hazy, in a round about way I mean to say that it should be kept as a medical procedure and that way it ensures no cruelty will be inflicted. My apologies for the lack of clarity.

I know that some people do (or at least know how to) but they shouldn't. I definitely dont agree with breeders desexing their pets, I'm pretty sure it's illegal - if you get caught of course. Sorry I was a little mentally challenged this morning and my post was a little hazy, in a round about way I mean to say that it should be kept as a medical procedure and that way it ensures no cruelty will be inflicted. My apologies for the lack of clarity.

Would be interesting to look at the legality of it. I would be suprised if there is anything about
it under the guidelines. I must admit I was a bit shocked when I was told what they do to the animals and
it's used to stop new morphs breeding after being sold. It is a non intrusive thing they do so doesn't involve
anything that outwardly effects the animal ie pain ect.

Still sux tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back