Bar Fridge Incubator - Calic/Denver 2012 Project

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapple

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My BHP's Calic and Denver have been paired for the first time this year and Calic seems to be Gravid!

Preshed is done and the count down is on!

I am not counting my snakes before they hatch but i am preparing for them by setting up an incubator out of a bar fridge.

I thought i'd share my progress and see what you thought.

IMG_0109.jpg

The fridge can fit 4x4L hatchling tubs.

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
2x 50W fan heaters to circlulate the heat and is controlled by the a thermostat/hygrostat.

The temperature inside the tub is being kept at 32deg -1 and humidity is kept at 80-90% relative

IMG_0112.jpg

I will be suspending the eggs above water, sitting on Perlite

IMG_0111.jpg

fingers crossed! ill keep you all updated on Calic's movements.

here is my pair this year
Bred by Kel
Calic - Female
Calic.jpg
Denver - Male
Denver.jpg

Last edited:
Are fans necessary in an incubator that size?
I dont think they are as long as you have a heat source top and bottom.

I first had one heat source and either the top or bottom was hotter. (hot spots)

The fans in my case are the heat source I am using and they disperse the heat evenly from top to bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

That thermostat is amazing haha

isnt it!

it has a timer for a light, thermostat for a heat source and a hygrostat for a humidifier! all of which are very accurate

it also has 3 different timmer sets if you want to control different cycles like day, evening and morning

Last edited:
Looks great.
Just a thought..... Are your tubs big enough for BHP's? They seem a little small to me without seeing them.
Regards,
T

Looks great.
Just a thought..... Are your tubs big enough for BHP's? They seem a little small to me without seeing them.
Regards,
T

Hey T, I should be able to fit 6eggs in each tub if i get to them before they stick. otherwise i have a backup plan where i have 1 big tub which i will be able to take the top shelf out and place the cluster of eggs in one tub.

Its getting very exciting, she has shed 5 days ago and the count down is on. (is it around 30 days before she will lay?)

She is also turning on her back and is looking very fat!

They are big eggs alright dapple,way big ,like that first bhp from kel its really nice.
Good luck with your efforts ,lots of people have great success with water incubation with aspidites.

I would try and get the grid that the eggs are going to sit on a bit lower in the tub as it looks very close to the lid and BHP eggs can be very big - think coke can size......

Id also be careful about sitting your tubs too close to the heat source as I imagine those units can run quite hot as opposed to a 50W heat cord where the heat is distributed along the length of the cord.

Good luck with them - that female is a nice looking critter!

Big containers are the go for bhps, bhps are the middle ones,containers are the largest rectangular size systema make with a single hole in the side for air.
You can make eggs grate for these if your using water incubation,plenty of stuff at chinese type shops for grids and baskets.

Hey T, I should be able to fit 6eggs in each tub if i get to them before they stick. otherwise i have a backup plan where i have 1 big tub which i will be able to take the top shelf out and place the cluster of eggs in one tub.

Its getting very exciting, she has shed 5 days ago and the count down is on. (is it around 30 days before she will lay?)

She is also turning on her back and is looking very fat!

Great to see you have a plan B. I think the bigger tub will be needed.
yeah 30 days after the pre lay shed is correct.
sounds like it is all comming along nicely.
awesome looking BHP by the way :))
regards,
T

I dont think they are as long as you have a heat source top and bottom.

I'm also using a fridge for my incubator, however I'm using a 50w heat cord threaded through 10mm corflute then run diagonally across the rear for heat. Would the fans not blow heat on one spot as opposed to the heat cord heating much more evenly?

what a great idea to use corflute to track the cord evenly, i think i might give that a go

cheers

I'm also using a fridge for my incubator, however I'm using a 50w heat cord threaded through 10mm corflute then run diagonally across the rear for heat. Would the fans not blow heat on one spot as opposed to the heat cord heating much more evenly?

I had to go to a signwriters business as Bunnings didn't sell the 10mm corflute. Cost me $5 for an offcut. You will need the 10mm to fit the cord through. I haven't used it as an incubator yet, I'm waiting for my monitors to get their act together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back