Basic Snake Question for Bredli python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reffy

Reaction score
Hi There,

i have just got a new Bredli Python (7 months old about 45 cm and 1.5 cm wide that the thickest part of her body) from a pet shop and i am not sure if she is under size. i am feeding her pinky rats every 7 - 8 days. i was just wondering if this is enough?

I have read around but no one can tell me how old a snake is when it becomes a juvenile, yearling, sub adult and an adult just wondering if anyone knows?

i feed my juvis every 4-7 days and imo that works fine it does seem a little small

what ever you feed her it should leave a noticable lump in her belly, dont judge your food size by the snakes head, you will be 'underfeeding' i would have thought pinky rats a little on the small size, but 7 - 8 days sounds fine maybe buy a small weaner and see how she takes it,

as far as your last question goes, i've never seen a proper answer to that question and it seems to get asked (and ignored) quite often....
my understanding is :

0 - 6 months is a hatchie
6 - 12 months is a juvie
1- 2 years is a yearling
2 - 3 years is a 'sub' adult - although i think thats more of an american term
3years + is an adult

I am not saying its correct, but its just what seems to be commonly refered to in threads,

how long is a piece of string ! ! they all vary, females generally thicker than male, it may be obese, half starved, sorry there is no magic formula

na i was just curious thats all im just interested to know how big one should be at a certin age

when i bought my first snakes breeder told me the more you feed them the more they grow which is a very obvious statement i feed my 7 month coastals weekly 2 are on fuzzies 2 on weeners there a bit big but there big juvies try feeding fuzzies

my coastal is 3 year in december and on umm hoppers i think their called

my 2 1/2 yo female coastal is just over 6ft eating 300g rats and probably as thick as a coke can....... maybe i should switch her to skinny rats, then she'd only be as thick as the skinny cans LOL

wow so thats what you mean by theyre all different sizes haha. i feed mine every week

in the warm weather she has been fed weekly, lately its been 2 weekly, if she doesn't come looking for food i dont feed her, my juvies are fed weekly regardless of any hunting instincts.... they are growing well,

a 3 yo on hoppers,! how long do you think he/she is hoppers should be way too small for a 3yo

umm about 1.5 metres but im a crap guess do you think i need to feed him more? or a bigger size

ive been doin the whole slight bolge thing that ive been told afew times and what they say to do in the reptile books

Thank you for all your reply :D
I'm going to try fuzzie rats and see if that is enough if not ill try small weaner rats

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

thats the way to do it, slowly, if he takes fuzzies easily and quickly feed them for 2 3 weeks then up to the weaners, etc etc, stretch the jaw slowly...
they should have a noticeable bulge/lump for a couple of days and then it will slowly disappear,

ive been doin the whole slight bolge thing that ive been told afew times and what they say to do in the reptile books
seriously, dude, start your own thread instead of hogging this one,
i think jax is about right IMO, and wouldnt a slow growing bredli be better coz they look cooler as juvies again IMO

IMHO slow and steady is better health wise than 'feed them till they refuse' theory i hear banded about, and i prefer to feed slightly smaller and maybe more often than give them a belly ache for a couple of weeks, i know thats not everyone preference, but its mine, and i'm sticking to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back