Bathing A Beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok well i got 3 bearded dagons all 8 weeks old howdo i bath em its there first time how will they react?

I just get a bowl of lukewarm water and pop mine in there...they usually sit for a little bit and then when they've had enough they try and get out of the bowl (but can't cause they slip down the sides).
Have you got a spray bottle aswell? That's usually very good to spray them daily.

If u put them in a normal bath, luke warm water is a must. If it feels warm on your hand then it will be too warm for the beardies. That's a general guide. Also make sure that there is only enough water to cover the tops of the beardies legs' and place a bath mat or towel along the bottom of the bath so that when it tries to walk/run it wont slide and will feel secure.

Just watch they dont push each other under and dont worry if they puff themseleves up

There is no reason to bathe them unless they are having trouble shedding, you should supply them with a water bowl that they can get into and out of easily if they want to.

There is no reason to bathe them unless they are having trouble shedding, you should supply them with a water bowl that they can get into and out of easily if they want to.

What about to keep them hydrated? and at 8 weeks old they could quite easily drown in a water bowl, not to mention it raising the humidity in the tank.

i wouldnt be bathing 8 week old babies. but thats just me. they arnt like people they dont need regular baths. :D

What about to keep them hydrated? and at 8 weeks old they could quite easily drown in a water bowl, not to mention it raising the humidity in the tank.

Spray them once a day and provide them with a shallow water bowl, if humidity is an issue then the enclosure doesn't have enough ventilation.

Water in there enclosure is ok as long as it is kept at the cool end and is only as deep as there elbow i keep a container in there which they go and drink from and at times poo in

Attachments

• home 1 021.jpg
    home 1 021.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 53
Spray them once a day and provide them with a shallow water bowl, if humidity is an issue then the enclosure doesn't have enough ventilation.

I spray my hatchies 3 times a day. It's essential to keep them hydrated and helps combat compaction.

aside from being good fro hygenic reasons, and hydration, bathing also helps them poo, they absorb a little bit of water thru their vents which makes them go....you wil need to change the water once they go in it, some beardies will drink their bath water and injesting poo makes them sick

8 weeks is definately NOT too young. My beardies have had a bath every morning since i got them @ about a week old (well, they had 2 a day till they were about 6 months old), and they only poo in the bath which means i never have to clean their tank or worry about poo on my lounge, carpet or bed.
they love their baths and never want to get out,....

For young beardies i would definately go with the spray bottle option mentioned. IMO i've found that the water bowl method doesn't always work out.

I usually have a large, shallow water dish for hatchlings and when I spray them I put them in it so when they lick up the droplets they are actually drinking out of the water dish, they catch on very quickly and soon learn where to go when they're thirsty.

I've never bathed a bearded dragon in my life, if they want to go into the water bowl they do it on their own accord, which is very rare (in adults) though hatchlings often sleep in the water so keep it shallow. Reptile skin is water proof, so bathing them for hydration is of little benifit.

funny this should come up today, my babies are about 3 months old, Ive always just misted them a few times a day, then this morning when I put their veggies in (their veggies are in a shallow dish and I usually put a little water in it to keep them moist) one jumped off its branches and laid in the water and just wallowed around. So I have no added a very shallow water bowl which it leapt into right away (then climbed out and couldnt walk across the lino, so was 'swimming' along on his belly to get back to his branch)

Cheers

I've never bathed a bearded dragon in my life, if they want to go into the water bowl they do it on their own accord, which is very rare (in adults) though hatchlings often sleep in the water so keep it shallow. Reptile skin is water proof, so bathing them for hydration is of little benifit.

some drink in the bath, and they absorb some water thru their vents which isnt much, but better than nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back