Bearded Dragon Heating Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. I'm assuming its in the middle? Witch means it will turn off your basking light when the middle reaches 30 degrees. But the hot end will still be hotter up until then. You may need to experiment with bulbs that gives you the best heat that doesn't trigger the themostat. In theory I don't see a problem but I don't know for sure

Yes it's in the middle, okay so I can still use the Philips 100watt with a thermostat? My concur is that it's going to be annoying the dragon, but had the same enclosure with a bluey with the basking light turning off and on with thermostat and she seemed happy and healthy.

I would not use the thermostat or the light fitting (provided it is in the middle of your enclosure). The basking lamp needs to be on one side of the tank. Plug that light straight into the power socket on the wall. This is the correct setup for your dragon. Your current set up will cause you more headache and stress on the dragon.

Yes the basking lamps are on the left side, oh ok I get it now. Can u post a pic of your enclosure setup?

here is my enclosure. You can see the basking lamp on the right (not connected to a thermostat) and I have a suspended uvb light running the majority of the length of the tank (for UVB rays which are also necessary).
Let me know if you need any help mate :)
for reference. THis is a 3ft tank. It has a 75w bulb philips brand, and I placed the piece of timber underneath it to bring the dragon closer to the light where it would be pretty much 43degrees (just on that log)

Attachments

• Saph1.jpg
    Saph1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Cheers for that Grogshla, understanding better now about the heating they need.
Great looking tank you've got setup there :)

How old is your Dragon? Is that a URS Terrarium?

No problem mate anytime. My dragon is 3 years old and the tank is made by reptile one.

I so love your setup, think I might do something similar to yours, what brand is the dome and What size & brand of UV is that?

Last edited:
glad you like it mate. It is an exoterra dome (glows in the dark for about 30 mins after you switch the light off) but there should be plenty for sale online or at petshops. The UVB tube light is an Arcadia12% (which are hard to get) but any uvb tube that has a 10.0 rating should be fine and can be found in all pet shops.

Cheers mate, thank u so much for your help :).

My local pet shop has heaps of those Exo terra domes. What size is your's? Where would I get the UV fitting you've got from?

Most petshops stock 2 foot long uvb tubes. So I bought a 2 foot light fitting from a pet warehouse that closed down not too long ago. You should be able to get them online or from your pet shop :)

Awesome thanks! :D

One last question haha what size is the Exo terra dome you've got?

U wouldn't have anymore pictures of your beardies enclosure would u?

thats all i have on this computer. I will upload some more when i get home mate.

Attachments

• Saph4.jpg
    Saph4.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Saph3.jpg
    Saph3.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 42
I''ve got babies and I run my red 24/7 and use a uv during the day aswell my babies love it and when it's bedtime they run over to the cooler side of the tank and fight in a cute way for the highest branch even tho there is 3 branches ....:)

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I''ve got babies and I run my red 24/7 and use a uv during the day aswell my babies love it and when it's bedtime they run over to the cooler side of the tank and fight in a cute way for the highest branch even tho there is 3 branches ....:)

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a picture of their enclosure? So I can see how you've set it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back