Bearded Dragon ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallyworld76564

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased these Bearded Dragons and although the person we purchased them from said they were a specific species, they don’t really look like any pics we can find.

They are about a year old now and measure about 15cm.

I am a bit concerned as they don’t seem to run around much and spend lots of time sleeping and one of them seems to sleep all the time. I have tried giving them a very large temp variation in a long cage but they seem to just want to sleep and never bask. I am worried that it might be too hot although cooling the cage doesn’t make then come out either.

Anyway, any positive identification would be great

Thank you
IMG_0182.jpgIMG_0180.jpgIMG_0179.jpgIMG_0171.jpg

They look like central bearded dragons. How big is ur enclosure and what temps are you keeping them at?

I would have said they looked like Pygmies (not because of size because of the pronounced spines at the base of the tail.) but I certainly would not be sure.

I would have said Pygmys as well.

Pics of the enclosure for a better diagnosis. They are likely in brumation for the winter

Black Soiled Bearded Dragon (Pogona henrylawsoni) aka Pygmy bearded dragon. It's probably sluggish because it is wanting to Brumate. Their care is very similar to central beardies however they don't require as big an enclosure. The one you have in the picture is not quite full grown, but will not get too much bigger. I suggest you just turn the lights off, supply a low level of heat from a heat cord/mat and let it Brumate for a few months.

Hi, well l think your guys look alot my little Yoda - Central BUT having said that, l have only "been into" dragons for a short time.
Yoda is 25 cm at 6 months and is on the small side. If your guys are centrals then they are tiny. What lighting do you have in the enclosre? What are your temps and what are you feeding?

Attachments

• DSC05206.JPG
    DSC05206.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Pogona henrylawsonii, pygmy bearded dragons, dnt worry its sleeping cuz thats what alot of young dragons do this time of yr, my yr old dragons are all sleeping 24/7 atm, my older ones are out and about tho

Thanks everyone, that’s a great response.

I am still a bit confused however. Not because of your answers, more the lizards behavior.

They behave like that all year round. The cage they are in now is quite large. About 120cm long by 60cm by 60cm. The basking area under the lamp gets to about 38 and the cooler end is about 24. This does drop at night but doesn’t get any lower than about 20 as that’s what the room stays at due to other heating. They have a very strong UVB (the desert strength one) and can get right up next to it when they bask. I read somewhere that they shouldn’t burmate for the first year so I am trying to keep them awake. I might just let them have a nap. What temp is best for that ?

They are eating crickets, avocado (a bit) and various veggies. They also get regular calcium and the very occasional meal worm.

In rethinking my age I would put them closer to 18months so am guessing they are almost fully grown if they are indeed the pygmy bearded dragons which is what we purchased them as and seemed to be the consensus.

So given that,
what temp for the basking area ?
what strength UVB and how should it be delivered eg unshielded 12v lamp ?
what temp for the rest of the cage ?

Thanks again as the little fellows have me worried although my girlfriend does spoil them rotten.

Hey I have central bearded dragons and I keep mine at 38-40 basking and 28ish at the cold end. Uv 10 via a normal reptile fluro tube no refectors. If they are about 18months they could be in bumation. I heat my enclosure at night and try and keep it as close to 26-28 as I can

Currently a tube although might move them to a 12volt

tube but might switch to 12v

no more avocado either

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back