Bearded dragon laying eggs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Yesterday i was cleaning Roccos cage and for 2 days she's had been glass dancing a lot. So while i cleaned her out i let her run around the garage with the doors shut and i saw her go up to a piece of wood and sort of scratch at it in the digging motion. I found that a bit suspicious so i put her in a tub of sand and bang she was digging like mad!! At that point i wasn't too sure if she was gravid or just wanted to dig but 30 mins later she had dug a great big hole and i knew she was gravid. So i put her and the tub in a spare cage were theres no lighting but it was a warm day, and at 7pm she had dug a massive hole in the corner. There was a problem though, in the garage and outside at night i gets extremely cold and she wouldn't survive. The tub didn't fit in her other cage because of all that stuff i did to it so we brought just the tub with her in it to my room were it was nice and warm. I came back every half hour and she was just digging and digging until i came back at around 11:00 and she had backed into the hole. I thought she was laying it looked like it but no she fall asleep and wasn't laying so i went to bed and this morning i woke up to the sound of more digging! She ditched her other hole and started up a new tunnel... but that collapsed.. then another..... that collapsed that happened 3 times so about 2 hours ago i got a milk carton, cut the top of and put that in there like a little tunnel but so it didn't collapse. She went in and started digging, before i knew it she backed in and started laying. So right now as i type she is laying doing the but wiggle and i've setup the incubator and containers of vermiculite. But i'm planing on having her in the bath while i dig up the eggs but do i wait till she starts to burry them and then move her or let her finish her job and then move her, cause if she buries the eggs in cold damp play sand i don't want that to kill the eggs. Ill let you know how many eggs i get and how it goes.

thanks, do i let her finish burying them or when do i take her out, i don't want the eggs to die in the cold damn sand if she buries them, but i feel bad not letting her finish her job.

Let her go for awhile the eggs will be ok. Just remember not to rotate the eggs when you pick them up, place them in the tub in the same position you found them in.

Just put the container on top of a heat mat if your worried, with my geckos I just check them daily so the eggs are in cold sand for at least a few hours and I have never had issues, but my laying tubs are always in a warm spot of the cage to encourage them to use it so the cold sand isnt all that cold

i think ill let her half burry it then take her out put her in the bath, ill grab the eggs and then fill it up a bit then she'll think they are still there and burry it up, once she's done ill move her back to the cage.

Oh and thanks Wally, yes the embryo will detach if i turn them, i researched how to breed them for months lol.

Ha ha, I have a picture in my mind of what's going on at your place now ** cue urgent music here **.

Yes she has laid one clutch already and they were all infertile, but she is laying now cause she got a metabolic disorder and something happened like a place were the eggs are stored swelled up and she was forced to retain the sperm till now and so now she's laying lol.

Shes burrying as we speak now so ill just let her finish, im sure the eggs wil be fine. Ill tell you guys how many.

yup, she's nearly finished now, how cute she is patting it down with her nose, they make it look like absolutely nothing has happened.

They have lost none of their natural instincts. All the best the most exciting time is still to come. PM me if you have any questions. :D

ok thanks for you help wally, stick around a while and ill tell you how the eggs are (amount)

hey i got 15 eggs all up, 6 are looking very very healthy and big and white, some are a small and shrivelled and soft a little, but hopefully it all goes well. In the incubator at 28 - 29 c but struggling to keep humidity up. If any hatch, ill make another thread. I've given my beardie a bath and 23 crickets with calcium. She's just chillin now probably exhausted after all that work! Thanks for your help guys.

I've had eggs hatch that you would be forgiven for throwing out so you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back