bearded dragon vs eastern water dragon (EWD)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 25905

Reaction score
I was just browsing as usual and noticed that a lot more people keep bearded dragons rather than water dragons is there any particular reason for this?? personally i cant wait to get a EWD they are so awesome and look so cool.

I think the main reason Beardies are more popular is they dont mind handling and require smaller setups.
Beardies average 45cm.
Adult male EWD average 75cm and arent as easy to tame, not saying ti cant be done though

yeh i guess theres a point, but ill still be getting a EWD they are so amazing with their looks, i remember going on bushwalks when i was younger and seeing heaps of them all sizes if startled they would just dive into the water......gone!!! lol

are they harder to care for? i know they will need ALOT of floor space.

They need floor space and water to at least soak in preferably swin a bit. I love them as well, I have a female and two baby Gippsland dragons. They need a fairly huge setup if indoors and ideally an outdoor setup with pond as adults. My girl is very scatty and I don't think I could really get her used to handling but boys can be calmer, not always of course. As in harder to care for, I think easier. They don't require as high UVB output, they can handle extremes of temperature, my babies get no night heat and they are in a fairly ventilated enclosure. They do bask but also soak to aid digestion. They eat like pigs even when they are freaked out, in fact you have to be careful not to overfeed them so they don't get obese. If you have room and like dragons that like water and are interesting and cool to look at and don't mind if they don't end up really tame t go for it. One of my Gippsland babies eats from my fingers the other runs. My EWD also eats from my fingers but she freaks if you try pick her up.

Last edited:
They need floor space and water to at least soak in preferably swin a bit. I love them as well, I have a female and two baby Gippsland dragons. They need a fairly huge setup if indoors and ideally an outdoor setup with pond as adults. My girl is very scatty and I don't think I could really get her used to handling but boys can be calmer, not always of course. As in harder to care for, I think easier. They don't require as high UVB output, they can handle extremes of temperature, my babies get no night heat and they are in a fairly ventilated enclosure. They do bask but also soak to aid digestion. They eat like pigs even when they are freaked out, in fact you have to be careful not to overfeed them so they don't get obese. If you have room and like dragons that like water and are interesting and cool to look at and don't mind if they don't end up really tame t go for it. One of my Gippsland babies eats from my fingers the other runs. My EWD also eats from my fingers but she freaks if you try pick her up.

yeh iv noticed about the setups iv seen a few really good ones on youtube. thats some more good info to know thank you. as for the "tame" part i dont mind at all when i was younger i used to handle the wild ones...got a nice bite on them tho lol. to me they are just really interesting.

I have both. Tilly's enclosure is a HUGE wall unit. It was the only way to make her feel like she had enough room to not need to rub her face on the glass for me to get her out. Idk about the actual measurements.

If you pick Tilly up, expect either a whip from her tail or for her to start scratching at your hands to be set free. My beardie however will just sit on my hand and watch everything around him.

The hardest thing about EWD's is that they need excellent ventilation. Too high humidity can cause respiratory infections. I tried to have a life-like riverbank made inside her tank, but the humidity was too high so I had to change it to something drier. Sounds weird because they're water dragons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back