Beardie Enclosure... how big?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobi84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what would be an ideal size for an adult bearded dragon enclosure? I've got a 2ft tank at the moment which i'm thinking about converting into a beardie home.. however i wont hesitate going bigger if thats what it needs i'm just not sure.. anyone?

Thanks

Yeah, you'll need bigger - I think 4x2x2 is a good size...I certainly wouldn't go smaller than 3x2x2...

I wouldn't go any smaller than 3 x 2 x 2 for an adult beardie, but bigger is better and if you can aim for 4 x 2 x 2 or 5 x 2 x 2 that would be ideal.

excellent thats all i had to hear... thanks i appreciate it guys!

1 foot deep will be way too shallow. Adult beardies can get up to 45-50cm+ in length, they'd barely be able to turn around in an enclosure of that depth. I'd never go any less than 2 foot deep for vitticeps.

1 adult would be ok in a 3ft, i'd be going 4ft for a pair. You could keep pygmy beardies or dwarf beardies in a 2ft.

would i be able to keep 4 pygmy beardies in a 3ft or would 4 ft be best?
im after best for the animal, plus i have no room in my house so haha trying for both is a little difficult. ill go 4ft if its better anyways, just might not be able to get many more animals after that hahaha (until of course i move out lol)

Nat ;)

Or even better you could get a Ctenophorus species, jacky dragon or a mountain heath dragon.

yer, im after a more hands on animal because my family argues there is no point having something for just display purposes.. so an animal that tolerates occasional handling would better suit my family..
but i will definaltey have alot of animals on display when i leave haha the beauty of herps alone is a reason to keep them on display.

i think ill go for a 4ft and keep it out of my room

1 foot deep will be way too shallow. Adult beardies can get up to 45-50cm+ in length, they'd barely be able to turn around in an enclosure of that depth. I'd never go any less than 2 foot deep for vitticeps.

Thanks Miss B. I had a feeling that might be the case. Considering i have already set up a desert theme in my tank (and don't really want to have to change it), what sort of reptile would you recomend for my sized vivarium? I suppose i can fit pygmy beardies in it? (how many?)

Keep in mind that this will be the first reptile i have ever kept but no my first pet (I've had chickens, birds and all sorts of aquatic life). I'm looking for a friendly pet that will allow me to handle it <strike>without getting bitten </strike> with minimal bitting (I suppose I'm bound to get bitten eventually :shock:)

Cheers.

hum...looks like my html strike code doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back