Beardie favouring one leg?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
:cry:

Have just noticed that Phoenix is hobbling around a bit, favouring her right front leg - and I have no idea why.

She was fine earlier this evening, then I fed her and after she was done eating she headed off back to her basking spot, but I noticed she is barely using that right front leg and is pretty much hobbling along on the other three. There is nothing in her enclosure that she could have fallen off, or that could have fallen on her, and she hasn't been out of the enclosure either.

Any idea what it might be? Do beardies get 'pins and needles' like people? Being cold-blooded, I imagine they wouldn't, but I have no idea why she would be favouring that leg. She's now lying down in one corner of the enclosure, going to sleep.

Anyone got any idea? :|

Dunno. She was fine last night, after she had dug the hole. She has been eating and basking since. It was just tonight... I fed her, she ate, then as she walked off she was kind of hobbling, it's so weird, I've never seen it before. The arm looks quite limp. I thought maybe it was from how she had been laying, you know how beardies lay in weird positions with their arms tucked under their body and stuff. But yeah, it's got me worried now...

So it could be pins and needles? I have heard of beardies breaking their legs before, but usually it's from getting stuck or wedged somewhere, and there is literally nothing in her enclosure she could have done that on.

i had an issue with 2 of my girls miss B,the male had nipped there legs during the breeding cycle ,didnt leave scars or anything but they hobbled for a while,then i noticed that they both dead arms ,which dropped off,something to do with it cutting off bloodflow to the lower arm,i didnt even ever see bite marks on them but thats all i can imaginr it being,does your girl seem to still use her foot,eg can she grip but just doesnt want to,hope im not worrying u,shes probably just got sore arm from digging ect

She doesn't seem to be using it at all, she usually grabs my fingers with her front legs when I hold her but the arm is just kinda limp and she's dragging it around basically. She doesn't seem too bothered by it, though she did wince a little when I manipulated it - the range of motion in her shoulder joint is somewhat reduced. But the arm pretty much just looks and feels floppy.

I know this doesn't help much, but here's a pic I just took of her sleeping. The front right arm is the one she's favouring.

PHOENIXLEG.jpg

Has she jumped off something and landed awkwardly? Could she have?

Nope. There is literally nothing in her enclosure except a food dish and newspaper. I took the basking rock out this morning to clean it and hadn't put it back in yet, so she's just been sitting on the floor to bask. There is nothing she could have fallen off, nothing that could have fallen onto her, really just nothing. I don't get it. She was walking fine this afternoon. The first I noticed it was when she had finished eating her dinner and wandered off to bask. That's when she started limping.

maybe get it xrayed and see if they find anything. good luck hope shes ok

im also pretty worried about my female shes lost weight and appetite:(

Lol yeah. It's weird though, she laid the eggs last night - this morning she was fine, this afternoon she was fine, then all of a sudden tonight - limping. I'm going to check on her first thing in the morning - if it's not looking better, we're straight off to the vet.

Hope your female starts to perk up a bit soon alex.

Lol yeah. It's weird though, she laid the eggs last night - this morning she was fine, this afternoon she was fine, then all of a sudden tonight - limping. I'm going to check on her first thing in the morning - if it's not looking better, we're straight off to the vet.

Hope your female starts to perk up a bit soon alex.
yeah maybe just a pulled muscle.

yeah i hope mine gets better sure shes the spawn of satan and wants to kill me :lol: but i still care about her

yeah seems odd to happen all of a sudden,shes been alone to hasnt she,she may have like pulled a muscle or something,might be safest to get her checked if it hasnt improved by tommorrow,better safe than sorry i guess,just out of curiosity,has anyone else had there beardys limbs just die off,2 of my 3 females 2 seasons ago had it,they didnt show any bite marks but im guessing over active males,they were housed 2 males to 3 females in a 6x3x3 enclosure,the males never really fought,just bobbed at each other,there now 3 females to 1 male as the original male passed away,i miss the old fella,but yeah i just noticed a section of them limb was all stiff,they still walked on them but was like they had wooden arms,then after a few days the limb actually dropped off,one lost wrist down,the other 70 percent of her arm,my guess from the males during breeding,they still fine health wise which is good,but i felt really bad that it happened and i never noticed anything till it was to late

lol alex,you do get the odd feisty one,one of the girls from last season i held back was a nasty lass,very non normal beardy,lol,someone came to buy some off me and wanted her as well cause of her feistyness,i miss her,hope shes doing well

Yeah she was in with a male for a week, that was early September. She's been housed alone since.

lol alex,you do get the odd feisty one,one of the girls from last season i held back was a nasty lass,very non normal beardy,lol,someone came to buy some off me and wanted her as well cause of her feistyness,i miss her,hope shes doing well
lol this ones tried to jump out and land on me a couple of times.im holding her right now force feeding her a piece of apple and shes taken a bit:) so hopefully she will recover

well id say it shouldnt be from the male,u probably would have seen signs by now then if it was,id have to say maybe muscle damage,also a possability is that with the producing of all the eggs they can lay,she may be weakened from putting all her calcium into egg production,just a possability,not highly likely though as shes carrying great condition for a beardy hows just laid,she how she is in the morning,it may be sore so shes just resting it for now

I've got a girl that jumps out of her enclosure into my lap. She's my little monkey :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back