Beardie Substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilali

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

At the moment im using newpaper as a substrate for my hatchlings.

I would like to go with something that looks nice in the enclosure.

Can anyone recommend some good substrates?

Cheers

red desert sand. ive never had any problems with inpaction, i think it looks the best

I heard about the impaction thing, but i thought i would experiment, i know its not the best of ideas, but yeah. i am using red desert sand, have been for like 3 weeks. my hatchies are fine at the moment.

red desert sand. ive never had any problems with inpaction, i think it looks the best

Are you all insane? Why would you risk impaction of your beloved beardies?
It can happen, it does happen, quite frequently i might add.

I have lost beardies to impaction a loooooong time ago thanks to moronic herp store clerks that told me yeah yeah it's fine.

DO NOT USE SAND.

Safe, easy options; Newspaper based kitty litter, tiles, and newspaper obviously.
There is a relatively new product that i use made of wood chippings, but it looks like kitty litter.
It's safe and very very good with soaking up smells and moisture, i think it looks good too.

I forget the name of the product but you should be able to get it from most herp stores.
Here is a picture of the substrate.

Last edited:
I heard about the impaction thing, but i thought i would experiment, i know its not the best of ideas, but yeah. i am using red desert sand, have been for like 3 weeks. my hatchies are fine at the moment.

Big mistake.

And yeah your hatchies are fine at the moment, i put emphasis on the at the moment part.

I've never had any problems what so ever with using sand. I don't keep them anymore but I had them for quiet some time, all were very happy and healthy on sand :)

yeah i went with astroturf from bunnings today it looks great and the hatchlings love it - i am not risking my hatchies on the sand espec with impaction.

Fake grass all the way, one in the enclosure one in the wash. I have it in all my enclosures, snakes and lizzys, quick and easy.

each to their own. my little tackers are 8years old. this is a pic of the setup with sand. i'm a big fan of a natural setting.

Attachments

• DSC00148.jpg
    DSC00148.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 201
hatchies we are talking about ?
dont use sand or ground walnut anything small enough to get in their eyes ...will
anything that can stick to their food............... will
art grass is ok but isnt the most hygenic of subs and progressively gets smellier and threads can chewed off.
tiles are great and has the added bonus of keeping claws down
newspaper or butchers or kitchen paper is great for absorbtion
the first signs you will have is either eye probs or mouth probs as impaction starts you will notice sand around the mouth and a reluctance to open mouth even when provoked .
eyes will be stuck together and if you see any of these its really already to late
adults seem to be able to cope fine hatchies are a different ball game.

I wonder how many people that recommend sand for lizards have actually lost one due to impaction? It's all fine and dandy until your animal dies.

We have sold many bearded dragons and always recommend that marine carpet, astro turf, newspaper or paper towel to be used particularly for hatchling.

Many people come to us after buying Bearded Dragons from pet shops that have sadly died due to impaction.
I have been in pet shops where I have seen hatchling and adult Bearded Dragons eat sand, and even rocks. Normally adult bearded Dragons have the ability to pass whatever they have eaten, though it can also cause them to become sick, hatchlings however do not have the ability to pass clumps of sand or rocks and so care has to be taken, why would we let a silly preventable thing cause such a tragedy??

Everyone has there own opinion. and what happens in the wild? theres a lot more others things that could cause impaction, including the size of there food. theres no need to go off at people just because they use sand, or other small substrates. Yes your giving them advice, but no need to be bitchy. and no, its not worth the risk. But saying that, your risking your own life going out the front door,

Everyone has there own opinion. and what happens in the wild? theres a lot more others things that could cause impaction, including the size of there food. theres no need to go off at people just because they use sand, or other small substrates. Yes your giving them advice, but no need to be bitchy. and no, its not worth the risk. But saying that, your risking your own life going out the front door,

Haha yeah but you can hardly compare using sand as your pets substrate to leaving your house.
The point is why would you risk putting your dragon through immense pain plus death all because you want their enclosure to look pretty.

Selfish stupid ignorant thing to do, ESPECIALLY when you are aware of what can result.

lemonz, do you think that every hatchling in the wild survives until adulthood? No. Many many lizards die in the wild. And, for the record, beardeds don't live on loose beach-like sand in the wild, it's usually compacted.

Also, who cares what happens in the wild? Lizards get run over in the wild. Are you going to put your lizards on the road then speed over them?

red desert sand IS calcium sand.

one of the worst substrates you could choose, red dune sand isnt even natural, nor is it suitable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back