Beardie Substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stop it

See that's the thing, the topic of conversation wasn't 'sand vs pellets', it was whether or not sand can impact and kill a bearded which it can, i can seen no evidence of pellets doing so and if i had i probably would'nt be using them.

When i first started up i was using sand as told by a few storeclerks, started learning more, lost one dragon to impaction and i switched to newspaper, i had my beardies on newspaper for years. I started breeding and looked for something the dragons could nest and dig in, came across these pellets, successfully has many of my beardeds on this substrate for what would be over four-five years now with no mishaps

I also got given a rescue beardie and within about five days it was dead, two necropsys on both beardeds proved sand was the culprit. (and the rescue beardie was on newspaper as soon as i got it) He had many baths and laxatives, nothing worked.

I NEVER said they can't cause impaction (though i have seen NO evidence of it) but it's ALOT less likely than with sand.
No i'm not a scientist Ishah just a curious human being with alot of experience below her belt.

I've covered the whole licking and tasting the enclosure thing on another thread.
Sand particles get stuck to the saliva on the tongue of the lizard, it either gradually swallows more and more and the sand sits at the bass of the stomach, or it chomps up one lot of sand that eventually kills it.
The pellets are too solid and too heavy to be picked up simply by licking, i've observed it many times and they don't come off the ground, like i said i have only ever had one issue when my oldest bearded picked up a piece a long with carot my sister dropped onto the enclosure floor, she immediately spat it out and i'm assuming it was because it was too solid and didn't taste very nice.

and i don't feed in the enclosure at all.

:evil:I've seen various x-rays and necropsys done on beardeds and i've only ever seen sand impaction cases, and one bearded that had swallowed a toy soldier.
why are you so damn mean to every one you argue the point all the time wich sucks and the topic of this thread was what is a good thing to put on the bottom of the beardies enclosure so why don't you be quiet stop being so nasty towards everyone:evil:

i know sand can cause impactation but i have used red desert sand for years with no problems..i just feed my beardy outside of his cage

I am in the process of getting some beardies and am setting up their enclosure as we speak, and hell no I am not using sand !!

One more thing, I personally think that the fake grass/astroturf looks pretty tacky and very fake, but each to their own I guess :) I'd rather the newspaper substrate for ease of cleaning and then make it look more natural with real branches, logs, rocks and for my own personal touch, old cows bones... I think that really puts an edge on it! All steralised for days on end before introduced to my beardies of course! I think the bones are great! Really hold the heat and gives it a nice feel to the whole "aura" of the enclosure!

I love that idea !!!!

Thanks for clearing that up, so you have absolutley no experience with sand and compaction yet you still preach........

I preach because I know it can happen, and new keepers shouldn't expose their dragons to something that can kill them until they can recognise the signs of a sick dragon. I have no problem with keepers using sand if they know what they're doing.

i know sand can cause impactation but i have used red desert sand for years with no problems..i just feed my beardy outside of his cage

I find that hard to believe, since you only got your first dragon a couple of weeks ago. At least try to keep your lies consistent, huh? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back