Beardie trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, I have three barbatas about 10 months old, which have lived together in the condo since I got them. Until today all has been sweet
no probs, although two have grown faster/ bigger than the other, despite plentiful varied diet and same conditions.
Until now I havent seen any dominance behaviour exception a little push n shove for the best spot under the basking light.
Just a while ago I noticed the smaller one limping, one of its front feet is swollen at the anklejoint and theres a tiny bloodspot between two toes.
Theres is nothing in there it can harm itself on so I surmise the largest, which i think is male and has been displaying heaps lately, has bitten it.
The "male?" was always biggest and I originally thought the other two were females.
Im thinking the two have paired up and the smallest injured one might be 2nd male?
On the other hand it may be the smallest has been sent to the bottom of the pecking order?
Ive isolated it and am keeping it warm etc, so far it seems ok, still active , alert, and bright eyed.
Should I get the foot xrayed ? and should i keep it seperatly now for good? Your thoughts? :?

IMO -
I would keep them separated until a) you know whether it's a boy and in which case DON'T put it back in :) or b) if it's a girl, don't put her back in till she's the same size.
I keep vitticeps, not barbatas, but I would assume (?) that their bahaviour woule be more or less the same.
As for whether or not to get the foot xrayed, I would stuff her full of as much calcium that you can get into/on to your roaches, get her out in the sun as often as possible (or get an ozbright) which will give her a much better chance at the foot healing well. If it looks as though it's infected though in a few days, I would take it to the vet in case there is something they can give her.
Good luck :)

I would treat the wound with betadine to stop any infections. Yes, keep her seperate for a while and see how she goes. My adults had to be separated because the female was dominant and so the male couldnt eat properly and was way smaller than the other 1. U should be almost able to tell what sex they are by now.

Thanks for the replys guys/gals, on inspection this morning it appears the wond i saw was infact a tiny peice of reflective elitra (shell0 from a roach, not blood, so no actuall wound. My eyes must be going, seems i paint roach shell with betadine! :oops: good thing though. The swelling has largly gone down although its still favoring the foot.
Ill be housing him/her seperatly untill it gets a bit bigger, dont know why its small, as it gets the same amount of food as the others. Its food is reg dusted with repcal and reptivite and they all get reg sun. If its still favoring the foot in another day or two ill have the vet look at it, not sure what could be done though. Its general health seems ok, still active and bright eyed this morning, will feed shortly with more dusted roaches and some greens.
Still cant real determin hemipenal bulges or not though on this one.
Thanks again. :)

Dan,
I'd be separating the larger one that you suspect has done the damage and leave the other 2 together. As I explained to you when you bought them, I had to separate that same lizard because he tried to attack the other 2.

If there is no actual wound, wait a coupla days for the swelling to subside and then if it aint better get it to a vet.

Simon Archibald

The other two seem to get on well, but thats a dam good idea, thanks, must be his true colors comin out eh. I cant be sure it was the bigger one though, guess ill find out that way. Im going to swap them now. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back