Bedding..?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im currently organising a new basking structure for Chace.
Its a log that ive cut the top off which end up being about 10cm think.
Ill be attaching it to the corner of the enclosure with angle brackets.

Im thinking of creating a hide underneath it, and im just thinking is it possible to put some sort of bedding in there?

Just seems boring and unfair that he has to sleep on the substrate (which is newspaper) i know he probaly dosnt know any better, but i do lol

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that i could use?

Straw? sand? blanket?

Any ideas would be great!

Cheers,

playpit washed sand from bunnings, about $7.50, wont break the bank and will do the trick

Sweet!
I dont think he will even know what it is!
never seen sand or felt sand before, lol

Cheers, ill pick some up this weekend.

Do i need to siv the sand? or just wash it and it should be fine?

Hi Lloydy,
I was using play sand, but found it to become a bit smelly after a while. I changed to sugar cane mulch and the beardies absolutely love it. It seems to absorb odours. Easy to clean, cheap and they love to bury themselves in it.

Hey Babba,
Sugar cane mulch? Hmm, ive never heard of it.
Is it just available from bunnings?
Cheap?

I only need a small bit for the hide, im quite happy with using newspaper as the substrate, but i jst felt bad for him sleeping on it, lol.

Cheers,

I got mine from Bunnings. I chose to get the organic one, comes in quite a big bag and its compacted too, so it will last for a long time. If you have too much, put it in you garden! Zorro has nestled right into it with just his head poking out. He seems very happy. So happy in fact, he won't come out!

mine love their sand, if it gets pooed on scoop out all the clumped sand with a spoon and it wont get smelly too quickly.
the bunnings stuff seems to come out granulated if it get eaten, so theres a relatively low impaction risk.

I have a digging bowl with walnut shell that I put into my beardies cage occasionally. They get in have a good dig around, and make a hell of a mess. Take it out a vacume out the enclosure after a couple of days.

Recomend that you keep feeding away from and sand or substrate material regardless.

My Home made digging pit. Tried to make it look like a volcano crator. Can also use as a water container.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Would sugest higher sides, to contain the mess. A 4lt ice cream container with an enterence cut out of one side would probably work, (or a bucket).

The homemade pit looks awesome!
great idea :)

Might go check out the sugar cane mulch tonight after work :)

Tink - only using it for a bedding in the hide, so no food will eaten near it :)

Cheers guys,

Will post some pics when im done :)

anyone use the breeders choice or dr Harrys kitty litter with beardies? it's awesome to use with Blueys.

I have been looking for Kittys Crumbles, but could only find small bags. I have a fairly large enclosure so need a big bag. Anyone know of a supplier in Brisbane? I rung around some suppliers a few weeks ago, but they only stock the small bags.

Hey Babba,
I went to check out the sugar cane mulch at bunnings, but silly me i accidently picked up something totaly different, thinking it was the mulch.
Its some other mulch, but reading it it says it contains parasites, molde, etc. :S
lucky it only cost me $6

Is this the same case with the sugar cane mulch? If it is, i dont think id be buying it lol.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back